hattons 21 pin

Rate this question

richrua

Question

Me again!

I tried two different hattons 21 pin chips in three diff locos -141, 181,071 . I have a small program track set up. Wires are soldered and the connection is good. However, i cant get any reading from the chip.

Is it possible i have two dud chips? Seems unlikely, but i cant find any other probs. Locos are more or less new and clean just run in a bit on dc.

Thanks

12 answers to this question

Oh i meant i soldered the wires from my controller to the track itself. Sorry for lack of clarity. Meaning i dont think it is a commumication problem between controller and track.

I fitted the dcc chips by removing the blanking plate and pushing it on carefully. Think i got that right . I will post a pic later.

Some decoders don’t like being read by some equipment, but should permit writing.

Best thing to do, if you are sure the decoder is in correctly, is to try to run the loco under the default settings, ie Loco code 3. If that works, then the decoder is OK, if not, there is a problem.

It should not be possible to fit a 21 pin decoder incorrectly, as long as all the pins line up with the holes, unless excess force is used to fit the decoder off centre, or upside down.

I have just now tried to fit a decoder incorrectly, and it just won’t go on without forcing it. Having said all that, I do know of someone who managed to fit a sound decoder upside down, the result of which was having to replace it! Expensive mistake.

If the decoder went on without any excessive force, and is sitting flush with no sign of any pins showing at the sides, then it should be fine.

Yes Noel it does run on dc with chip.

I got a new error message last night - "check wiring to track. Make sure you are not using a dc power connector"

Looks like my problem is simple track wiring. I had soldered the wires to the track. Perhaps it is a poor job. I will try a resolder today.

Yes Noel it does run on dc with chip.

I got a new error message last night - "check wiring to track. Make sure you are not using a dc power connector"

Looks like my problem is simple track wiring. I had soldered the wires to the track. Perhaps it is a poor job. I will try a resolder today.

OK, that sounds positive, the decoder is working. As BosKonay suggests try it on a short piece of track wired directly to the DCC system just to rule out wiring issues. Only tonight I've discovered some of my crossings are causing brief shorts when metal coach wheels run over them. I will have to 'depower/isolate' the crossing rails unless in use.

Edited by Noel

Guys i read the f.. manual (as a boss i once had used to tell me to do!) And after a few minor setting adjustments i am up and running. Many thanks for all your advice. DCC is new to me. Now that i can work it i must say it is impressive. I know it is a hornby product but the railmaster program is very detailed and the possibilities are huge_ way beyond trainset stuff. The big plus was the price - as I had an old laptop to run it on it kept costs low.