Model Era - Is it an age thing or am I just a dinosaur?

Rate this topic

Noel

Right, John's psychologist can get to work on this lot -

... snip ...

Enough. As you can see, having been indoctrinated at a VERY early age, I think that engines should be blue and pull mahogany coaches and that's where this railway is going (DV).

Entertaining story Leslie.

I remember seeing Castle Rackrent in a Railway Modeller article. Even by today's exceptionally high standards, that layout was - is - the very best possible, accurate in every detail. Castle Rackrent must serve as the epitome of what a modeller can achieve. It was a good half century ahead of its time in this regard.

Anyone know if it is still operational, in any form?

It is a beaut. The red board instead of a tail lamp comes as a bit of a surprise to me. Didn't know they used boards other than on ng gauge lines.

Was thinking, given the general interest in matters military, a WOI or Civil War era layout would be an interesting subject.

It is a beaut. The red board instead of a tail lamp comes as a bit of a surprise to me. Didn't know they used boards other than on ng gauge lines.

Was thinking, given the general interest in matters military, a WOI or Civil War era layout would be an interesting subject.

In the late 60s Triang had a range of military train rolling stock, including all manner of flats with tanks and artillery pieces, covered in netting camouflage, engineering loads, etc. I remember drooling as a child looking at it in the display case of WJ Owens in Bray. There were about 5 years where toy manufacturers produced a lot of military toys during the 25th anniversary of WW2. A great era when stuff like Mecanno, airfix, Lego, toy trains, scalextric, wooden blocks, chemistry sets, books and footballs were what entertained youngsters, rather than hours transfixed by dancing LCD screens. When one had to physically interact with a toy world instead of watch it. Wonder how creative the next generation of engineers will be given most never built anything during their formative years growing up! :)

Brunnel must have had a great wooden block set as a toddler to envision his mind.:)

There were about 5 years where toy manufacturers produced a lot of military toys during the 25th anniversary of WW2.

Too true Noel! Right up to the late 70's in fact. Action Man did some superb renditions of WW2 outfits and material. Brens, stens, Colt 45s, and uniforms that were as nearly well cut as the real thing ( I had the storm trooper complete with Luger, MP40, stick grenades, rucksack etc.)

One of my favourite toys was an Dinky Austin Moke Jeep that was attached to a parachute that you could fling 30 feet in the air and then watch come floating down...or get stuck in ESB overhead lines.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dinky-Toys-Austin-Para-Moke-601-New-in-original-box-/361086764400?pt=Vintage_Antique_Toys_US&hash=item541272c570#ht_54wt_1105

The red board instead of a tail lamp comes as a bit of a surprise to me. Didn't know they used boards other than on ng gauge lines.

Actually, the GN used a WHITE board to mark the back of their push pull trains - in daylight, of course. It may also have only been when the loco was at the back of the train! Vide "Giolden Years of the GNR Vol 1" p 18.

Leslie

Indeed, minister.... and... a GSWR based layout could have the famous Inchicore armoured train!

Not a very taxing build, not many curves!

http://photogallery.bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie/albums/userpics/10001/normal_P-19-002.jpg

And this http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_303Dv_Vkry0/ScFTdvtYhGI/AAAAAAAADBg/H3zqj-opSiQ/s400/GWP3+-%3E+Lanica+Armoured+Truck.jpg

is not a million miles from this...http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5043&d=1267465560

Edited by minister_for_hardship