A4 Railroad with tts sound

Rate this topic

richrua

I treated myself with the hornby railroad A4 with tts sound. For £92 from hattons with sound pre installed ... totally ready for dcc operation.

Initial view is that the body is fine (for the price) wee bit plasticy but could be improved easily). Sound is rather impressive with a load of functions.

At the price even for a dcc installed loco this would be good value, but with sound too this is a real game changer from hornby.

I treated myself with the hornby railroad A4 with tts sound. For £92 from hattons with sound pre installed ... totally ready for dcc operation.

Initial view is that the body is fine (for the price) wee bit plasticy but could be improved easily). Sound is rather impressive with a load of functions.

At the price even for a dcc installed loco this would be good value, but with sound too this is a real game changer from hornby.

Great to hear this. A little bit of weathering and those 'railroad' models could look as good as any of their fine scale counterparts. Anyway few folks over the age of 40 have eyesight good enough to notice the difference between fine scale and railroad models. (e.g. HD v SD on TV for the over 40s makes little real difference).

If you get a chance please post a video. Would like to see how the steam sounds match speeds, especially things like coasting. Does the TTS decoder support brake sounds, curve squeal, etc? If it does the days of €120 sound decoders are numbered.

Edited by Noel

will do. Still investigating your question. The reason it is called Twin Track is apparently because you can play two tracks (sounds) at once as opposed to other sound systems which can let you play as many as you like. For me you would need to be an octopus to play more than two sounds and operate a loco anyway...

will do. Still investigating your question. The reason it is called Twin Track is apparently because you can play two tracks (sounds) at once as opposed to other sound systems which can let you play as many as you like. For me you would need to be an octopus to play more than two sounds and operate a loco anyway...

Thanks, will look forward to that, and yes totally agree about 'octopus'. The LokSound and Zimo chips I've played with can play up to 8 simultaneous tracks, BUT I've never used more that two at a time (e.g. engine sound + one of: horn, or brakes, or curve squeal, or guards whistle, or station announce, etc). Haven't Bachmann also announced some sort of low cost sound system as well?

The P2 is quite Impressive, got one for me Dad, Breakfast sound as well, There was no vegetarian option for him!! Great Value for sound but I think there not as realistic sounding as the dedicated decoders. The chuff sound did not really match the Speed but I may take a look at the CV Values and adjust something there when I get time. The Whistles and the Rest were spot on except for the Station masters Whistle which sounded like he had swallowed it!

Great Value for sound but I think there not as realistic sounding as the dedicated decoders. The chuff sound did not really match the Speed but I may take a look at the CV Values and adjust something there when I get time. The Whistles and the Rest were spot on except for the Station masters Whistle which sounded like he had swallowed it!

That seems to be the general consensus...

The sound is of good quality in general and they are grea value for somebody who wants to try sound without breaking the bank. But the more discerning sound-users are focusing on the lack of adjustment. The individual sound volume levels can be adjusted but things like not being able to sync the chuff sound with loco speed is a downer for some people.

I'll get one of the diesels myself when they come out, you can't go wrong at that price!

Haven't Bachmann also announced some sort of low cost sound system as well?

Bachmann have the "Sound Value" range for their HO line, and I have a couple of those locos. These use budget priced Tsunami decoders which are great but again they have a lack of adjustment whenn compared to the high end decoders.