4 function decoder

Rate this question

Alan564017

Question

20 answers to this question

I'm looking for help on decoders. I have an 071 with a 3 function decoder fitted, cant get the cab lights to work (usually F4 or F8). Should I be using a 4 function decoder to get the cab lights on, i.e a bachmann 36-577?

Hi Alan

I think you will need a 4 function decoder such as a LokPilot v4 21 pin or a Lenz Silver+ 21 pin. On the LokSound and LokPilot the light functions on 071/201 are:

• F0 is the directional running lights (i.e. uses two function outputs white/red lights)
  • F4 the main beam head light (directional)
  • F8 the cab lights (directional)

If you give me an hour or two I will pop a Lenz Silver+ into an 071 and try the lights. If I get time I will also try a 36-557. I know the LokPilot and LokSound work.

Noel

PS: Most decent decoders also allow you to dim the cab lights which is useful on 071 as the cab lights are ridiculously bright and I have mine dimmed 60%.

Edited by Noel

The headlight and cab lights both use 2 functions each, 1 for forward and 1 for reverse in each case.

So the functions would be used like this…..?

6 Function decoder

1 - Front marker lights (Cab1 driving) + rear light(s)

2 - Front marker lights (Cab 2 driving) + other set of rear lights

3 - Main beam on/off (Cab1 driving)

4 - Main beam on/off (Cab2 driving)

5 - Cab 1 lights on/off

6 - Cab 2 lights on/off

Motor - present on every decoder ('functions' are additional to this)

So the functions would be used like this…..?

6 Function decoder

1 - Front marker lights (Cab1 driving) + rear light(s)

2 - Front marker lights (Cab 2 driving) + other set of rear lights

3 - Main beam on/off (Cab1 driving)

4 - Main beam on/off (Cab2 driving)

5 - Cab 1 lights on/off

6 - Cab 2 lights on/off

Motor - present on every decoder ('functions' are additional to this)

Yeah, spot on.

Hi Alan ,

you need the Murphy Models DCC decoder M0005 , which is programmed just for the 071/111 only and not any other loco 141 / 201 .

Its pre programmed functions does not follow the NMRA standard F0 - F8 functions but they do all work. The decoder if memory serves correct is a ESU decoder .

Marks Model sells them for €37 .

Irishthump is correct that the 071/111 requires a 6 function decoder if you want to use all the lights.

Hi Alan ,

you need the Murphy Models DCC decoder M0005 , which is programmed just for the 071/111 only and not any other loco 141 / 201 .

Its pre programmed functions does not follow the NMRA standard F0 - F8 functions but they do all work. The decoder if memory serves correct is a ESU decoder .

Marks Model sells them for €37 .

Irishthump is correct that the 071/111 requires a 6 function decoder if you want to use all the lights.

It's a LokPilot Fx which has 6 functions hence the higher price tag.

Edited by irishthump

If M0005 is same decoder as ESU 54615 LokPilot V4.0 then €37 seems high when it is only €26 in Germany

Even if you have to map the functions in program mode €26 v €37 seems a stretch just for pre-programming which will only take you a few mins if it is needed at all.

http://kieskemper-shop.de/Esu-Spur-HO-ESU-Decoder-54615-DCC---DC-21-pol-MTC-V4-0/a31242642_u1160_z63f0f43f-b1b0-4c7b-b9ec-e6ee643bbf26/

Haven't had time to see how many of the lights work with the other 4fn decoders (i.e. Lenz/Bachmann).

EDIT: LokSound FX is not the same as MM0005, the Fx is a function only decoder

Edited by Noel

If M0005 is same decoder as ESU 54621 LokPilot Fx V4.0 then €37 seems high when it is only €17 in Germany

Even if you have to map the functions in program mode €17 v €37 seems a stretch just for pre-programming which will only take you a few mins if it is needed at all.

http://kieskemper-shop.de/NEU-eingetroffen-ESU-54621-LokPilot-Fx-V4-0--Funktionsdecoder-MM-DCC-SX-21MTC-Schnittstelle/a46549702_u1160_zcbb2467f-03b1-404a-ba84-2674ed159283/

Haven't had time to see how many of the lights work with the other 4fn decoders (i.e. Lenz/Bachmann).

Yeah it's definitely a Lokpilot. As you say, a hell of a markup!

LokPilot Fx V4, which is a function only decoder is NOT the same decoder as MM0005

It seems to be the similar to ESU 54615 LokPilot V4 which is retailing in Germany at €26. The LokPilot Fx is a function only decoder without motor drive, but the LokPilot v4 has motor drive. BUT it only has FOUR functions.

http://kieskemper-shop.de/Esu-Spur-HO-ESU-Decoder-54615-DCC---DC-21-pol-MTC-V4-0/a31242642_u1160_z63f0f43f-b1b0-4c7b-b9ec-e6ee643bbf26/

Edited by Noel

Alan

I just tried a Lenz Silver+ 21 in an MM 071 and it operated the lights, but only the one of the cab lights. Hadn't time to map functions, but will try tomorrow. It correctly ran the white and red directional running lights F0+F1 together, plus F2 for the directional head beam. F5 turned one of the cab lights on but not directional. I will read up on the Lenz decoder tomorrow to see if this function can be mapped. Btw, it ran the loco super quiet and smoothly in terms of drive/acceleration.

Noel

LokPilot Fx V4, which is a function only decoder is NOT the same decoder as MM0005

It seems to be the similar to ESU 54615 LokPilot V4 which is retailing in Germany at €26. The LokPilot Fx is a function only decoder without motor drive, but the LokPilot v4 has motor drive. BUT it only has FOUR functions.

The Lokpilot has 6 functions; 4 outputs and 2 logic functions. The logic functions can be used to control leds by using a special adaptor plate. The PCB in the MM071 probably does the same job as the adaptor.

The Lokpilot has 6 functions; 4 outputs and 2 logic functions. The logic functions can be used to control leds by using a special adaptor plate. The PCB in the MM071 probably does the same job as the adaptor.

Are you still referring to the Fx V4.0 function only decoder and saying it still works with the PCB in the MM0071? Or the LokPilot V4?

For clarity could someone elaborate on the difference between a 'function' (and what that can control) versus a 'logic' function (and what that can control) please?

Edited by DiveController

Hi Kevin. A function only decoder has no power output to drive a motor. Noel

HI Noel. Yes, I understood that. I presume IT is speaking of the LokPilot V4 then. But I didn't understand the difference between a 'function' (and what that can control) versus a 'logic' function (and what that can control) or was that in reference to the 6 functions on a function only decoder?

HI Noel. Yes, I understood that. I presume IT is speaking of the LokPilot V4 then. But I didn't understand the difference between a 'function' (and what that can control) versus a 'logic' function (and what that can control) or was that in reference to the 6 functions on a function only decoder?

Sorry, yes I was referring to the Lokpilot V4.

The decoder has 4 function outputs (which are functions that have all the necessary circuitry built into the decoder) it also has 2 more Logic functions which have the ability to control external devices such as DCC controlled couplers. As I said the circuit boards in modern models that have 21pin interfaces allow the logic functions to be used to control lights/leds.

Ok, thanks, IT. You can have automatic coupling/uncoupling of the loco from the Coaches under DCC control?

Yes, I believe they're made by Roco. If you download the Lokpilot and Loksound manuals from the ESU site you can see how they operate. The decoder can be programmed to perform and uncoupling maneuver; the loco backs up a tiny bit to create slack, the couplers unlocks and the loco moves off.