G611s in Green

Rate this topic

Jawfin

This may be of some interest to modellers:

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000305876

611 second from the right, 613 third from the left :D

Doubt they would have left Inchicore like that though - a waste of paint. I imagine February 1962 was before the first 141s were introduced?

I recommend flicking through the O'Dea collection, may I add, there are some very interesting photos

That may be works grey undercoat. The numbers are temporary, as chalk lines can be seen under them. They definitely all entered traffic in black. The earlier trio (G601-3) entered service in silver, and before being repainted black all three were green.

Livery details for G601-3 were all green, including frames. Large numerals on cab sides, cab end, and (unlike 611-7) on front too, under the radiator grille. No flying snails on either silver or green G livery.

That may be works grey undercoat. The numbers are temporary, as chalk lines can be seen under them.

Two of them still have the delivery notices in the windows, so I would say they are as they came from the factory. CIE's painters are applying the numbers, and the chalk is to keep the lines straight. Hardly applying numbers to undercoat and it seems too shiny anyway?

Seeing all seven together, helps explain why the works numbers and CIE numbers don't keep in sequence.

Quite a few of Jimmy O'Dea's photos are incorrectly captioned. I've been through the lot in the Temple Bar photo archives. Generally, like this, you get the impression that it's due to misinterpretation of someone's poor handwriting. Also, with the best will in the world, the National Photographic Archives staff are not well versed in railways.