Irish steam loco database

Rate this topic

GSR 800

Hi guys this is a thread where we put a bit of info on different classes of steam locos ( and possibly certain locos that are special in some way or are one of a kind eg the turf burner CC1). Don't worry the rest of yez I will get to a diesel thread shortly.

800 class 4-6-0 Maedb Macha Tailte

6,7 driving wheels 3,0 leading wheels

34,799 tractive effort

Largest steam locomotives ever to run in Ireland

This may be of some use - a friend and I wrote it some time ago. I think the info we got for it was pretty much out of one source, the plaque on the side of 36!

No. 36 was built by Bury, Curtis, and Kennedy of Liverpool in 1848 for the Great Southern and Western Railway of Ireland, at a cost of £1995. Weighing what was at the time a relatively hefty 22t and 29cwt, and capable of 4,250lbs at 85% working pressure, it was regularly used on main line trains until its withdrawl in 1874, by which time it had accumulated 487,918 miles in service. It lost its small, four-wheel tender at this time. In Inchicore, enough foresight was used to see that, eventually, such an interesting and archaic lomocitve would be of interest in preservation for future generations - thusly, it was put into storage. In 1901, it was sent to the Cork Exhibition, after which, in 1925, it went to the Stockton and Darlington Centenary celebrations along with surviving coaches of a similar age - Dublin and Kingston 38, built in 1834, and D&K 48, built in 1838, and survives in the UFTM at Cultra. It was exhibited in Dublin for the bi-centenary of the RDS, before the three were put into storage in Inchicore dump. In 1950, the locomotive was restored to its former glory in a light green livery and was put on display in Cork station concourse. While coach No. 48 survived, unfortunately No. 38 was deemed too far gone to be saved and was thusly cut up.

In 2007, Cork station was refurbished - No. 36 was lifted into the new waiting area of the station, resplendant in GSWR pre-1875 dark green livery. It currently sits on the same type of bull-head rails it would have ran on in service.

Edited by Jawfin

Can I just say that the information in this thread may eventually prove very useful but somewhat difficult to search for if the thread become lengthy (at least I have sometimes had difficulty locating information in some older threads that I know I've read but can't quite find the info again)

It would be ideal if we had something in the resources section in a somewhat standardized format that members could add to, that might eventually become a very useful reference for members, and could be edited by some senior members to ensure reasonable accuracy.

Someone also called on members to try to update information on steam locomotives that were listed under Irish locomotives on Wiki (iirc) which might also become a useful reference albeit not on the site

Edited by DiveController
grammar

Hi Kev think I get what your saying. Indeed if this thread does lose interest for only a few weeks it may be hard to find. I think we should get Bosko, Garfield or Warbonnet on that "standardized format" as I am a relatively new member

BosKonay

I would contribute to the database. It might be useful to set out parameters for the type of information required otherwise it might mean sifting through a lot of information to find just to find the piece.

Mike0