Steam crane

Rate this topic

WRENNEIRE

That yellow one (plus it's sister) were bought by CIE second hand from British Rail. I've a motion there might have been a third for spares, but I could be wrong there.

They weren't in use for long.

Their arrival followed the withdrawal of the older ex-GSWR, ex-WLWR, ex-MGWR send ex-DSER ones, which had very long lives. The GSWR one is at Mallow now, and for that matter the NCC one is at Downpatrick while the RPSI has the GNR one at Whitehead.

• 1 month later...

Hi DV

A bat on a galloping horse would not know the difference between the Hornby Dublo and the Irish prototype, the die-cast one. The later plastic Hornby model is still suitable but not as close.

One thing on the plastic one is that the human turning handles are a bit more discrete and may be left in place, whereas the die-cast handles need to be modified. http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4048&d=1353512393

Glenderg's photo above shows some of the mods he did, the main one is the addition of a boom arm n pulley system added on top of the boom for raising and lowering it, and of course the painting n decals....

Eoin

Crane-01 IMAG1962.jpg

Edited by murrayec

One thing on the plastic one is that the human turning handles are a bit more discrete and may be left in place, whereas the die-cast handles need to be modified. http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4048&d=1353512393

Interesting, I got the plastic one second hand (which I had mucho desired as a young fellah). It's a lovely job, but I have always planned to etch the handwheels and other little bits and pieces just to give it that little boost. Your comment has inspired me to put this to the front of the queue.