MK111 EGV Pics

Rate this topic

Hi RedRich,

thanks for posting these. Unfortunatly its a little to late for me but they might be useful for someone else. I was in the process of building one of Westys Mk3 EGV conversion kits about a month ago. I found it tricky enough to find half decent photos of carriges/egvs on the net for reference. There are plenty of locomotives but not so much of the trains they pull! Have to say... they are looking very shiny! When were these taken?

Cheers, Tom:)

Hi RedRich,

thanks for posting these. Unfortunatly its a little to late for me but they might be useful for someone else. I was in the process of building one of Westys Mk3 EGV conversion kits about a month ago. I found it tricky enough to find half decent photos of carriges/egvs on the net for reference. There are plenty of locomotives but not so much of the trains they pull! Have to say... they are looking very shiny! When were these taken?

Cheers, Tom:)

Hi Tom 2002. It just doesn't seem like 10 years ago. IE always seemed to keep the MK111's clean enough. I remember that carriage washer that used to clean the sides of the coaches in Heuston. It's a shame that they didn't look after the locos in the same way.

Rich,

Thanks for the photos but like Shinkansen I have already completed my rake of Mark 3’s.

The photographs I really wanted to see but were very elusive were ones looking down on the roof detail.

Leaving that aside always nice to see close up photographs.

The photographs I really wanted to see but were very elusive were ones looking down on the roof detail.

Believe you me, I found it very difficult to get any decent roof detail photographs. I did get one or two photos from lads on one of the old forums. I tried photographing overhead from a bridge, but didn't have an SLR at the time so it was difficult to get a well timed non-blurry shot. I'll find what I have and put them up. Richie, must say that EGV is spotless looking.

Thanks for the photos but like Shinkansen I have already completed my rake of Mark 3’s.

I posted this one in the MK111 7 series collection a few days ago. It's a pity no one asked for pics as I would have been able to oblige. Hopefully someone else may find it useful. Des if you read this and you think it might be useful as a resource for the SSM website please feel free to use it.

Rich,

MK111 EGV Roof.jpg

MK111 EGV Roof.jpg

Rich is that a black roof on the second coach in the above picture the reason I ask is the line where it meets the orange is very straight or is this due to the washer brushes

Anto it's a first class coach. Some of them received grey roofs. I haven't seen any with black roofs as Csalem has said, but that doesn't mean that there weren't any.

A MK111 First Class with grey roof at Waterford Plunkett.

The 1st Class emblem which is on the 1st Class end of the coach taken at Waterford Plunkett. The other end of the coach has the standard IE plug socket emblem on the doors.

Rich,

MK111 First class emblem.JPG

MK111 1st.jpg

MK111 First class emblem.JPG

MK111 1st.jpg

It actually looks like a composite coach, note the first class symbols on the first 4 windows and what look like standard seats in the rest of the coach.

Well spotted Snapper. There were 8 Composite MK111 coaches in the fleet 7165-72. The coaches were divided into two seating arrangements, one first class section and a standard section so you are correct in your description, now go to the top of the class and there's no homework for you tonight :-bd.

Rich,

Yeah I got caught on the roof detail too. Had a look at Antonys/Enniscorthymans workbench thread to get the details I was looking for in the end. It's the one time I could'nt find what I was looking for on Google Even though we are spoiled for choice with photo resources such as... Eirtrains, The Wanderer etc... That said, the EGV conversion kit was very enjoyable and turned out pretty well in the end... Credit to Westy:tumbsup:

Great Photos Rich... so nice to see Mk3s in good order in their prime. Shiny!

On a side issue concerning Mk3s, I picked up the Mk3 rake transfer pack and in the process of building up a rake of Mk3s to go along with the EGV. Does anybody know which numbers match up to which individual piece of stock? Is there a list somewhere which says what running number corresponds to an EGV, Restaurant car, 1 class coaches, and standard coaches? There's a whole heap of transfers on that sheet so I want to try and get them right! Any help with this would be most appreciated....Cheers Tom

I hope I have these numbers right =))

MK3 PP DVT 6101 – 6105

MK 3 PP Standard 6301 – 6319

International set 6201 – 6207

MK 3 standard 7101 – 7160 + 7163 – 7164 (7111 Destroyed 1997)

MK 3 Composite 7165 – 72 + 7107

Mk 3 full first 7104 + 7133 + 7156 + 7157

Mk 3 Restaurant 7401 – 7413

Mk 3 EGV 7601 - 7615

MK3 PP DVT 6101 – 6105

Mk 3 EGV 7601 - 7615

Snapper ,whats the story of 7111 ,was it destroyed in the Derailment near Westport ?

Snapper ,whats the story of 7111 ,was it destroyed in the Derailment near Westport ?

7111 was destroyed by fire in Inchicore works on 25 Feb 1997 and scrapped in June 98. I am pretty sure I have seen pictures of it online somewhere I just cant remember where.

Great pics Des. Isn't it strange the way that even the MK111 EGV's never seemed to get as dirty as the MK11 variant. I remember seeing MK11 sets every day in Waterford and they always looked filthy above the gutter strip, especially when the roofs were orange. It was harder to gauge how dirty they were after they started painting the roofs black, and that is probably one of the reasons that IE did paint the roofs black.

Rich,

MK3 PP DVT 6101 – 6105

Mk 3 EGV 7601 - 7615

Thanks snapper, its all a help. I better start decalling so... Cheers :tumbsup: