GNR 442t

Rate this question

Patrick Davey

Question

4 answers to this question

Wow! That's a nice thing. Wasn't really aware of any many other steam kits from Des, certainly not this one. What chassis is under there? Also supplied by SSM? Some recent discussion on here about the length of time it takes a brass kit steamer to bed in, maybe 100 hours. Is there much mileage on the clock or it was sequestered in the attic before that occurred?

Just discovered this grand old lady in my attic - made by a friend from a Studio Scale Models kit many moons ago. Des is going to send me suitable transfers but I was wondering what else I might need to do to get her going again? A far as I recall she was a solid runner but a bit noisy.......

I suppose the first thing to do Patrick is to remove the body and see what type of motor is fitted. It's most likely a Mashima motor, is it not running at all? If not then test all the wiring is intact and put some power direct to the motor to see if it turns. It maybe a case of some light lubrication and running it on a rolling road for an hour or so. It that does not work then open heart surgery may be the only option.