alignment of cut track

Rate this question

Paddy Mac Namara

Question

Hi all

I need some help with the alignment of cut track across a gap, as in baseboard join or in this case a lifting section. I’ve seen people talk about soldering the track to copper-clad board either side to secure the track firmly. All very well but…where do you get copper clad board, also surely the track will short out across the copper plate….do you cut it…seems to defeat the purpose.

Anyway any help appreciated.

Cheers

Paddy mac

12 answers to this question

Here's how I do it, lay the track across the joint in this case it's a baseboard joint that comes apart. Screw flat head screws under the track then solder the track to the screws, then cut the track with a fine cutting disc in a dremel. Here's some pics once the sleepers are fitted then painted and ballasted you can't see it.

The lift up section has to line up perfectly though and lock securely otherwise you will get derailments.

What I like about using screws it that they can't move once soldered.

2016-02-11 15.11.50.jpg

2016-02-11 14.55.44.jpg

dave, i'm not sure how this works, how will you know i've re-activated the thread.

but here's my question, your solder to screws looks simple and effective, but what about the more usual solder rail to copper clad board

i see in the modelling press...is either method as effective, the screws i presume should be brass

thanks

paddy

dave, i'm not sure how this works, how will you know i've re-activated the thread.

but here's my question, your solder to screws looks simple and effective, but what about the more usual solder rail to copper clad board

i see in the modelling press...is either method as effective, the screws i presume should be brass

thanks

paddy

Hi Paddy,

I like using screws over PCB board, once the screws are screwed in and soldered to the track they can't work there way back out as they rail stops them from turning. With PCB board they are glued and can break free if the glue becomes brittle.

Yes brass screws are best and grind the heads a bit and also grind under the rail then apply flux before soldering.