New fold out layout

Rate this topic

richrua

Hi folks. I've been having some shoulder and neck problems for a while now and I am not sure if there's a connection, but I'm taking a break from the attic for a while. It isn't quite tall enough for me to sit/stand comfortably. Also, I really want to see the models in daylight ! Not giving up the attic forever , I've put a lot of work in. Just trying this different. Basically the best place I have now is under the couch in the back room. The layout needs to be less than 3.5" high in order to slide under for storage. All buildings etc will have to be removable to be stored in a box, also I plan to have short trains in little storage cassettes. It is a small shunting type layout but I am pleased to date. It will also mean I am downstairs near the family more !

My only question concerns the join. I was going to underlay the track, but I was thinking that at the baseboard join it might make it harder to keep the track aligned once I've cut through. Underlay or not?

20170609_002730.jpg

Where the tracks are cut they will need to be rigid to realign properly. There has been one or more threads on here about fixing the ends of the rails to screws in the baseboard or metal strips on the ends of the boards. Presume you could then ballast over that to improve the looks. Away from the join the choice of ballast or cork/underlay etc would be personal taste I would think. Obviously you'll create an electrical bridge also

Hi folks. I've been having some shoulder and neck problems for a while now and I am not sure if there's a connection, but I'm taking a break from the attic for a while. It isn't quite tall enough for me to sit/stand comfortably. Also, I really want to see the models in daylight ! Not giving up the attic forever , I've put a lot of work in. Just trying this different. Basically the best place I have now is under the couch in the back room. The layout needs to be less than 3.5" high in order to slide under for storage. All buildings etc will have to be removable to be stored in a box, also I plan to have short trains in little storage cassettes. It is a small shunting type layout but I am pleased to date. It will also mean I am downstairs near the family more !

My only question concerns the join. I was going to underlay the track, but I was thinking that at the baseboard join it might make it harder to keep the track aligned once I've cut through. Underlay or not?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28169[/ATTACH]

As Dive says it has been covered. But one problem you will have is the top warping. Particularly at the joint. When it's folded up the MDF top will slightly warp as there is no support there.

You will also need cross brace support.

Yes - I have 3 braces across on the back to ensure rigidity, with the 'open' join braced on the back at the join. It is unusual in the sense that it is more like a box to let me fold it over onto itself, rather than the mdf on top of the supports. I will fix the track direct to the baseboard at the join I think, with a little underlay to create a shoulder for the ballast.