DART roof details

Rate this question

MikeO

Question

Does anyone know where I can get photos of the roof detail of the DART 8500 or 8600 series. A trawl of the internet has provide a number of partial views as well as a video which shows some details. I am intending converting a Class 350 EMU to a DART. I have good photos of the front but photos showing the roof for each of the 4 cars are more elusive. 

Any information greatly appreciated

MikeO

10 answers to this question

Thanks WRENNEIRE, more trains may pass there than at Malahide Station. By the time I realised there was a train in the station it had moved off so quickly and was almost out of sight so  I  did not get any useful photos.

Is the footbridge accessible to the public without having to buy a ticket of any sort.

MikeO

Edited by MikeO

4 hours ago, MikeO said:

Thanks WRENNEIRE, more trains may pass there than at Malahide Station. By the time I realised there was a train in the station it had moved off so quickly and was almost out of sight so  I  did not get any useful photos.

Is the footbridge accessible to the public without having to buy a ticket of any sort.

MikeO

Kilbarrack has 2 footbridges which are accessible without a ticket

WRENNEIRE and Railer thanks. On Google Maps Kilbarrack looks to have the easiest access, particularly the foot bridge with the spiral paths at each end. I will investigate both when I get down that way.

MikeO

Edited by MikeO

Hi MikeO

I'm still waiting the drawing from my source, I enquired & reminded him again at the Wexford Show!

If you do a Google search 'DART 8500 or 8600' you'll find plenty of images including roof details that might help

Here are two links which show roof detail in among other photos

8500;-

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/8500%2Cdublin/Timeline

8600;-

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/8629%2Ctrain

Eoin

Eoin

Thanks for the update and the links. Some of the photos are just the images I was looking for and confirms my suspicion that the Class 350 roofs are not Very similar to the DART roofs. On your second link there is a photo of no. 8629 showing yet another roof variation which may be much more simpler to make and produce a batter looking roof.

I will go looking for the other photos using the criteria you suggest. My previous searches using just "DART roofs" turned up very little.

MikeO

Edited by MikeO
  • Like 1

Following the above information I decided to start converting my class 350/2 into the 8600 series DART. While the roof details and a number of others have not been fully done, I think that for N gauge there is sufficient to give a passable representation of this type of DART.

As this will normally only be viewed at a distance it gives a reasonable impression of the DART.

The following 5 photos show the completed model with all its short comings.

MikeO

DART 8600 series full train cropped.JPG

DART 8600 series first two cars cropped.JPG

DART 8600 series second two cars cropped.JPG

DART 8600 series front cropped.JPG

DART 8600 series rear cropped.JPG

• Like 6

Eoin

Thanks for the comments. Close up it does not look that good. Can't see another set of 4 cars being done any time soon but if I do get around to it a simpler roof will be a priority, ie without the air conditioning boxes.

Other projects require my attention.

MikeO

• Like 1