Layout Plans

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

Prior to 1925 or so, there was a lot more - a good deal of the Sligo line, and all of the Galway line, for example. Today, it's Larne, Bangor to Bray, M3 Parkway, Maynooth, Connolly - tunnel - Heuston - Cobh & Midleton, and that's about it!

The main routes now long gone were ALL single - Waterford - Mallow, North Kerry, Limerick - Sligo - Enniskillen, Dundalk - Enniskillen - Derry, Portadown - Cavan - Mullingar, the Derry Road, the BCDR, West Cork; and the existing South Kerry and Limerick Jct - Waterford - Rosslare were always single.

One double track narrow gauge line, and one only, of course: the Cork - Blackrock part of the CBPR. The Crosshaven extension was always single.

53 minutes ago, Patrick Davey said:

Not quite the full way to Larne though..... 🤓

Indeed, sir; my mistake entirely. Used to be as far as Whitehead, now double just short of there. Never double Whitehead - Larne at all.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2018 at 6:18 PM, jhb171achill said:

Indeed, sir; my mistake entirely. Used to be as far as Whitehead, now double just short of there. Never double Whitehead - Larne at all.

Took a trip to Whitehead today on a return out of Belfast. The ladies were shopping and I decided just to sit and relax by rail.