Murphy Models 071 with sound chip won't move

Rate this question

RobertRoche

Question

8 answers to this question

Hi Robert , 

Check the following cv settings  :  cv2 = 3  minimum speed /start voltage

cv3=80  acceleration rate

cv4=80  deceleration rate

cv5=225  max speed

cv6=88  mid speed

What DCC controller are you using ?

Anyone reading this  ,  if you a specific  Murphy Models decoder for the 201/071 and you have a problem with it where it does not operate .  

DO NOT RESET THE DECODER  to factory settings by using cv8 . 

You are removing the unique Murphy Models decoder mapping settings which are specific to each loco class 201 / 071 non sound/sound decoder eg cab interior lights etc  . 

If you have a problem with a decoder check the cvs from the manufacture web site that they correspond to your decoder .

The above cvs are from the ESU site .

Joe

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, irishthump said:

Everything can be restored after a reset and the sound file is not affected in any way.

He should not lose any settings as these are usually locked in as the default setting if the sound is factory installed.

+1

I've often reset MM 071 sound chips without any problem.  Just remember after reset the loco's ID is lost and returns to default 3 (i.e. false heart attack because loco is unresponsive using the former ID after reset) :) 

• Like 2

I tried the loco on the NCE Powercab tonight and it ran fine. I have the Hornby Elite at home so I will try it on that again at the weekend. It had run fine on the Elite previously. I have read of this issue with the Loksound chip but not sure why it may have occurred now. Powercab might be on the list next!

7 hours ago, RobertRoche said:

I tried the loco on the NCE Powercab tonight and it ran fine. I have the Hornby Elite at home so I will try it on that again at the weekend. It had run fine on the Elite previously. I have read of this issue with the Loksound chip but not sure why it may have occurred now. Powercab might be on the list next!

Hi Robert

Good news the loco is not the problem. There are some known compatibility issues with Hornby DCC controllers. See link below:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/elite-loco-address-programming-problem/?p=1/

Possible reset of the Elite controller itself might solve, or use only short loco address numbers  (<127).

What is the loco address?  The ergonomics of the NCE dogbone cab control are a big plus as well as the sheer simplicity of setup. Btw, one minor niggle, if you do ever end up with an NCE system, never ever use the ‘Momentum’ button. It reprograms motor CVs on loco decoder rather than changes settings in the control system. If you want to adjust acceleration and deceleration behaviour of a loco just program CVs 3 and 4 in the usual fashion rather than use the daft ‘Momentum’ button. Otherwise it’s a great system. 

Noel

• Like 1