GNRi G Class 2-4-0

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

Although I have a photograph of a GNRi G Class taken at Omagh c. 1910,  I know little about them as they didn't seem to feature in many other photographs. The photograph was taken by local man Norman Holland and a small collection of his pre-1st WW pictures came up for auction many years and my good friend Norman Johnston managed to get copies of the purchaser. He in turn let me produce negatives of the same prints - back in the day before scanners!

• Like 1

Turns out I do have a copy but the locos are all more recent.You're right, there are not many photos of GNR(I) 2-4-0s. EM Patterson's 1962 book on the GNR(I) has a H class 2-4-0 on the bottom of page X pictorial section. It would be interesting to know the number of your G class loco or see the photo as some of these may have been rebuilt to 4-4-0s and the GNR seems to renumber things seemingly with out any real logic at times  

I haven't been able to find any direct reference to a GNR(I) G Class 2-4-0.  O.S. Nocks "Irish Steam" indicates that GNR(I)  had 75 4-4-0s & 9 2-4-0s in service in 1916.

The GNR was formed by amalgamation in 1875-76 the 4 H Class built in 1880-1881 appear to be the sole 2-4-0s introduced by the GNR(I), the H Class are supposed to be based on a Dublin and Belfast Junction design.

Its possible the GNR (I) G Class were a pre-amalgamation design, each of the amalgamating companies are likely to have had 2-4-0s for passenger work the question is which company Dublin & Drogheda, Dublin & Belfast Junction (Drogheda-Portadown) Ulster Railway or Irish North Western? While some INWR & Ulster Railway 0-6-0s lasted into the late 1940s the remaining 2-4-0s would have become pretty much redundant with the introduction of large S, S2 & Compound 4-4-0s and the light weight U Class type from 1912 onwards.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry for only getting back tonight but I've been having the delight of scanning a photo album from 1910-1921 featuring the Norman Holland Collection, a local photographer who managed to capture the railways pre-WW1 and after in Omagh. The album was loaned to me and I scanned at very high-res all that was of interest to me. You can see many of these if you're in Enniskillen this Thursday night, given copies to Charles Friel to use for his talk on the 'Ambulance Trains' of Ireland during the period.

Furthermore, here is that much talked about Class G 2-4-0 No.50 at Omagh c. 1910

GNR(i) Class G 2-4-0 No. 50 at Omagh General Station 1910.jpg

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 9:37 AM, GNRi1959 said:

I'm sorry for only getting back tonight but I've been having the delight of scanning a photo album from 1910-1921 featuring the Norman Holland Collection, a local photographer who managed to capture the railways pre-WW1 and after in Omagh. The album was loaned to me and I scanned at very high-res all that was of interest to me. You can see many of these if you're in Enniskillen this Thursday night, given copies to Charles Friel to use for his talk on the 'Ambulance Trains' of Ireland during the period.

Furthermore, here is that much talked about Class G 2-4-0 No.50 at Omagh c. 1910

GNR(i) Class G 2-4-0 No. 50 at Omagh General Station 1910.jpg

Interesting similar in general appearance to the H Class except for the cab profile and smaller driving wheels without crankpin splashers. 

The H Class 2-4-0s were the 1st GNR passenger engine and supposed to be based on an older Dublin and Belfast Junction Railway design.

The Ulster, Irish North Western and Dublin and Drogheda were also likely to have used 2-4-0s for passenger work, so the origin of the G Class might take some digging/research

The GNR would have used the best of the pre-amalgamation types until there was a need to replace them with more modern locos.

Interestingly the GNR introduced the 1st batch of 5 U Class 4-4-0s for secondary work in 1915 possibly replacing the G Class locos on the Irish North Western Line and other secondary routes.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1