Super Long Express Points

Rate this question

Glenderg

Question

Evening All,

Has anybody got any experience of working with Marcway or similar [perhaps custom] super long express points with Peco code 75? If anyone has any good/bad experiences I'd love to hear them to avoid any potential pitfalls. It's for a DCC layout too.

Thanks in advance. Richie.

6 answers to this question

I bought one of their 3' radius points years ago in Southern Model Railways shop in the Grafton Arcade extremly robust a bit more work than Peco as you really need a micro switch or similar to change frog polarity.

Check with Marcway if their points are DCC friendly, http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches.htm.

Track and wheel standards need to be closely matched for points or diamonds with shallow crossing angles otherwise you can end up with wheels dropping down in the gap between the wing rails and crossing vee or even taking the wrong route.

What the lads said and a bit of research thereafter [and many thanks too guys] is kinda scaring me, not so much from a looks point of view, but from a wiring perspective. Not to reopen the whole chat on 21mm standards, but I thought something close to prototypical for points/crossovers might offset the gauge argument - I hadn't even considered the wiring side of it. I will be down next wednesday, Rich Tea in hand [keep the diabetics happy:p], and would love to have a look.

I feel a longing for Mikado coming on.......................

Steam loco or a biscuit David :D

Richie if you are tempted to have a go at 21mm getting track and points made by Marcway would be a fairly painless way of getting something running quickly. Thir trackwork is pretty indestructible and once you have wired one or two points wirings is not such a big deal.