Lima 201, power pick up failed after oiling

Rate this topic

Thom

Hi,

I have an 2 x old Lima 201s which were reasonable runners.

They have been packed away for years and I pulled them out and they were running pretty  OK.

I put on Singer oil and they only ran better after that.

But I decided to put a bit more oil onto 1 (including the axels of the pickup wheels. and now it won't run at all.

Occasionally it gets 2-3 seconds of power.

The rails are clean and the controller is working, and all the other engines, and the other 201 still runs

I put  a 9V across the middle Co-Co that I know picks up power, but it won't drive the engine.

I don't know - did I destroy it my lubing all six pairs of wheels or what?

the 9V applied across the electrodes at the motor will drive the motor and turn on the light in either direction, but its like there's no pick up at all from the wheels?

Is there anything I can do?

thanks

Tom

Thom, 

You might be creating a short by over use of the oil. I'd suggest taking off the keeper plate underneath both bogies, one bogie at a time, removing the axles, again one at a time, and wash them in soapy water, dry fully, and rub down with fine 00000 wire wool on the pickup faces of the wheels. 

Dry off the goldy contacts with tissue paper, and use the wire wool to polish up the pickups. Put them back in their slots, making sure they are all correct polarity and direction, and check to ensure the brass contacts are in contact. Not a big job, but a little care and precision should bring it back to life. 

Richie. 

• Like 1

Hi Tom

Do as Glenderg says- but if you have a multimeter and it does continuity test? you could first probe around on the oil and see if its conductive, otherwise test pickups to wheels, otherwise test from pickups back to the motor terminals- wiggle the wires n bogie also while doing this test... and see what happens

Eoin

• Like 1