Rolling Stock identification -

Rate this topic

Edo

spacer.png

http://www.igp-web.com/Carlow/Borris_Railway.htm

Hi all

Hoping to tap into the hive mind around here to help me out to try and identify the rolling stock in the above photo - While Im not bad at locations and stuff - i have to confess complete ignorance when it comes to naming passenger stock and  locomotives from before the 1960s...............

this train is on the viaduct in Borris on the Bagnalstown to Palace east GS&WR line - given that passenger services ceased on that line in the early 30's - i think we're probably looking at the 1920s or slightly earlier - Im looking to identify the coaches and loco - not the exact number - but the make and model would be great.

thanks all

Ed

PS - just looked it up - the photo is on a card produced in Dublin and posted in 1908!

Edited by Edo
forgot the effin photo didn't I!
  • Like 1

Thanks JHB.

Apart from an IRRS Special which traversed the line just before it shut for good in the early 60's captured by James O'Dea - that is pretty much the only photo or image of a passenger train on that line so has nearly iconic status down  South Carlow direction - there is a copy of it in all the pubs!.

I'd love to recreate it - I did have a GWR tank with a couple of those little coaches straight off the pages of the Ivor the Engine or out of the Welsh valleys,  as a kid, but to put together a prototypical set of some accuracy , as I suspected,  will be quite difficult to do..........The GS&WR seems have had an amount of "similar but slightly different"rolling stock.....which makes it a serious challenge to model.

thanks again

Ed 

Edited by Edo
spelling!

Brian McCann built an N Gauge exhibition layout based on Bagnalstown that was featured in the Railway Modeller during the early 1980s, the layout included reasonably accurate models of the station buildings including loco shed and the branch line was incorporated into the main circuit, the layout also included models of the Waterford line Barrow & Nore Viaducts.

Building or kit bashing the train would be challenging in OO would be challenging in the absence of a suitable loco kit or ready to run donor locomotive.

If you want to build a reasonably accurate model of the train O gauge might be a better option than OO as the 2-4-2T version of the loco is available as a brass kit from Alphagraphix and GSWR 6 wheel coach kits/parts are available from Alphagraphix and Worsley Works.

Alternatively it should be possible to re-create a reasonable copy of the train that passes the 2' rule in OO or even N by kit bashing a British RTR loco into the 0-6-0T version of the GSWR loco with modified or re-painted Trtr 4 wheel coaches. A diorama featuring the Borris viaduct and a train in either OO or N gauge would make an impressive model

The loco looks like a 37 Class or C7  4-4-2T  introduced by the GSWR in the early 1900s.

Class C 7 - 317 - GS&WR Class 37 4-4-2T, built 1901 by Inchicore Works - 1925 to GSR, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1955 - seen here at Cork Glanmire Road.

A brass kit of the 33 Class or F6 a 2-4-2T version of the same loco is available from Alphagraphix  in O Gauge.

Class F 6 - 33 - GS&WR Class 42 2-4-2T - built 1892 by Inchicore Works - 1925 to GSR, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1957 - seen here at Cork in 1932.

Both classes appear to have been introduced a a light tank locomotive for Cork Suburban  and branch line passenger and mixed train service and seem to have been reasonably successful.

Many years ago someone kitbashed a passable model of a 201 class out of a Triang Jinty.

Class J11 - 201 - GS&WR Class 207 0-6-0T, built 1895 by Inchicore Works - 1925 to GSR, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1963.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

Mayner - thank you very much for taking the time to write such an informative post - much appreciated

I would love to have seen Brian McCanns layout - sounds fantastic.

Yeh - there will be a lot of scratch building , kit bashing and making do full stop on modelling this part  and time of the railway world.

Lots of food for thought there

thanks again

Ed

Had the pleasure of operating 'Bagnelstown' on occasion after Brian sold it on during the mid-'90s. If I recall correctly, there was an 071 built from a kit (can't remember its origins, unfortunately), some C class locos which were continental locos suitably kitbashed and repainted, and a Lima 4F in J15 guise. Rolling stock mainly comprised a rake of repainted Farish Mk2s in Supertrain livery, Farish Mk1s repainted in Black & Tan to represent Cravens, and Peco cattle wagons.  

• Like 1