Making the grade

Rate this topic

gph2000

I've just installed a long 1:60 grade which includes a quarter circle turn. My Bachmann N class is stalling - with wheel spin exiting the curve with a four coach train.

The track is temporary so it could be some of the issue.

The goal is to haul 5 coaches, and I cant do much better than 1:60 on the slope.

Am I asking the impossible?

Edited by gph2000

I suspect Richie & Jim are correct. The obvious issue is that the extra resistance created as each additional coach enters the curve especially with longer coaches versus 4w wagons. If extra weight fails to resolve for the 5 coaches you could flatten/eliminate the gradient within the curve, increase the gradient to more than 1:60 on the straight if you need the achieve  a minimum rise over the total distance, increase the radius of the curve starting it earlier if necessary, consider a Cork tunnel style banking engine! as shorter rolling stock probably not an option in this scenario.  I don't know if there is a rule of thumb for how much to add except that if you add enough balanced weight you should have greater traction. Adding more than necessary will add some strain to the gearing especially f the loco is running longer circuits. Let us know how much weight you had to add when you can. TIA

Edited by DiveController