St Johnston Station.

Rate this topic

Broithe

Needs editing re some of the facts. I'm pretty sure the County Donegal Railways Joint Committee had nowt to do with operating it and the Great Northern Railway didn't close the line.

Unfortunately I havn't got time at present to check this out. Went to see an old German friend very ill on his last legs today and he was very excited to see me and then passed away. His last words were Du stehst auf meiner Sauerstoffleitung!

I need to find out what this means, might be some money to get some Guinness Keg wagons!

Better get back on topic St Johnston 14 Feb 1965

334 St Johnston 14Feb65 ((Mike Shannon)  334.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Irishswissernie said:

Needs editing re some of the facts. I'm pretty sure the County Donegal Railways Joint Committee had nowt to do with operating it and the Great Northern Railway didn't close the line.

Unfortunately I havn't got time at present to check this out. Went to see an old German friend very ill on his last legs today and he was very excited to see me and then passed away. His last words were Du stehst auf meiner Sauerstoffleitung!

I need to find out what this means, might be some money to get some Guinness Keg wagons!

Better get back on topic St Johnston 14 Feb 1965

Correct - the article is riddled with errors. The CDRJC did not, as you say, have anything to do with this line - they had nothing to do with ANYTHING 5'3", even though the original Finn Valley line had started off 5'3".

The station was indeed on the "Derry Road", but it was not a commuter line - it was a major secondary main line all the way to Porteedown.

It was operated by the GNR until October 1958, when it became part of the UTA operationally, though the very short stretch in between Strabane and Derry which lay in Co. Donegal was owned by CIE, hence the sometimes-quoted quiz question - "what CIE railway station never had any CIE-operated trains?".

The UTA were in charge, of course, when the vehemently anti-railway Stormont government closed the Warrenpoint and Portadown - Derry lines in full.

For Derry Road modellers, by this stage, only in the last few years, NCC "W" class 2.6.0s had started working the goods in, and AEC / BUT railcars handled most of the passenger trains, aided and abetted by a GNR 0.6.0 on the Portadown - Dungannon local, and a couple of very filthy "S" class 4.4.0s. 171 was one of them, can't recall the other without looking it up.

According to the former PW Inspector who knew the line well, Wm. Thompson, a friend of my father's, "Jeeps" never appeared on that line, even in UTA days, until after the line shut - one hauled the lifting train for a while!

A curious thing just now.

I went into the page to correct it, and posted the edit. Within minutes I get a message (to which I cannot reply) saying that the edit constituted vandalism of a site and I would be banned if I did it again etc etc. This appeared to come from some sort of moderator (?) or original poster (?), whose own personal page was covered in all sorts of loyalist regalia!

I've just corrected it again, using my actual ID on wiki, rather than anonymously. Does anyone know how this thing works?

I have often both posted, occasionally corrected, and referred to posts of wiki, as it's supposed to be a source of info, into which anyone can log on to add, subtract or correct information if they are in a position to do so...... if someone posts that the "Derry Road" was part of the CDRJC, and it's impossible for anyone else to correct it, then what's the point of Wikipedia?

• Informative 1