Dundalk Quay Street Station

Rate this topic

Patrick Davey

Another gem from the 'Britain from Above' website - an excellent 1933 aerial view of Dundalk Quay Street station on the DNGR line to Greenore.  Interesting to note an overbridge on the GNR side of the station beyond the level crossing, as well as a GNR loco (440 or 060?) presumably collecting coal from the quays for onward transportation.  So much detail here to pore over!!

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/XPW042434

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Like 1

Looks like a SG or SG2 - certainly a 0-6-0.

With the Zoom feature, you can see one of my Loco Coal wagons in a siding!

Much more tantilising is the apparent lettering on some of the wagons - the "GN" one are obvious enough, but others appear to be lettered as a private owner wagon would have been.

Are we looking at Lockington wagons, fully lettered - I've never seen a pic of one (or I'd have done a model!).

I think it's  Charles Friel's book on Dundalk which will show you quite  about the sidings.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Garfield said:

Nice find! Am I seeing things or is that a steam crane near the end of the siding at the bottom right?

Looks like it ok!

Sorry folks I got a bit carried away there, am done for tonight!  Hope you found something of interest.  There is a lot more of interest including extensive coverage of railways around Belfast, also good coverage of Dromore, Enniskillen, Ballymena and Omagh.

Night.

• Like 3