Level Crossing Lamp

Rate this topic

Wexford70

Hi guys,

I received an early birthday present! I was given a level crossing lamp including burner, and bracket, all in relatively good condition.

It has come with a blue lens which I presume was not the original. and was a replacement by a previous owner.

Does anyone know where I can source a replacement lens? I presume they were always red?

Advice on fitting it would also be appreciated. Was a standard linseed putty used?

The lamp is almost identical to this one on the Wonderer's photo.except in red. It has the same two air slits

The disused Ballyard Station in Tralee on the Tralee and Blennerville Railway. Level crossing lamp. Sat 02.02.19

• Like 2

Now THAT is a beauty! Happy birthday!

Senior had several old GNR ones years ago, which he always intended to fully restore. I only recall white and red glass in them, as one might expect. I never heard of any having blue lights.

The original glass lenses tended to be big thick chunky types of glass.....

I am note sure if they sealed them with putty; I don't see why not. Putty was used for many things back then.

JB

7 minutes ago, Wexford70 said:

It's interesting if you look at the level crossings of the Waterford to Rosslare line on google street view, shoes them in place on the gates but took a spin out this evening and all are gone now. I wonder what happened to them?

imageproxy.php?img=&key=1c31239905d200ebimageproxy.php?img=&key=1c31239905d200ebimageproxy.php?img=&key=1c31239905d200eb

imageproxy.php?img=&key=1c31239905d200ebimageproxy.php?img=&key=1c31239905d200ebimageproxy.php?img=&key=1c31239905d200ebimageproxy.php?img=&key=1c31239905d200eb

gate lamp.png

No longer required as the line is currently not in use, and probably in safe storage.