Strabane station

Rate this question

airfixfan

Question

Doing some research on the station for an article. Have loads of photos and information on post WW2 period. However cannot find any photos or maps pre 1905. Even the online maps for both NI and ROI are blank for the area where the railway station is! Any suggestions or help?

11 answers to this question

Fascinating to see that mileage was calculated from Dundalk. Easy to think - as I always did - that the Derry Road was Portadown-Derry via Dungannon - in reality the line was properly Derry-Enniskillen-Dundalk, a blend of the Londonderry-EKN and EKN-Dundalk railways as the INWR. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dhu Varren said:

PRONI Maps have OS maps of the period. Below is a couple of screen grabs, one for 1900-1907, the other for later.

Capture5.thumb.JPG.6fa45bb9b20d9caf78c7c57923ad7471.JPG     Capture.thumb.JPG.ea8d699a1475fb6c0aa9d27f0fef398b.JPG

Thanks have access to those but when you try to see any maps pre 1905 you get a blank space on both the NI and ROI maps! Strange

On 7/10/2020 at 10:42 AM, airfixfan said:

Doing some research on the station for an article. Have loads of photos and information on post WW2 period. However cannot find any photos or maps pre 1905. Even the online maps for both NI and ROI are blank for the area where the railway station is! Any suggestions or help?

Hello,

I am not a modeller, but have recently been researching CDR station layouts.  I’m working on Stranorlar and getting information for Strabane.

I might be able to help with Strabane.    I have spent my life working with maps and plans in the UK.  Now I’m finding out about Irish coverage, or lack of.

OSi have the old 1:2500 (25") accessible online.  As you have noticed, the S&L is later than the plan surveys.  Some coverage exists with the 1:10560 (6") maps, but track layouts are very generalised.

PRONI - for some reason - do not have the 25" series online.

Fortunately, there is a blog that has some coverage:

http://oldstrabane.blogspot.com/2010/09/1905-ordnance-survey.html

It is possible to download the plan shown without the help of Google Earth.

The reason you are seeing blanks is because (I think) of the way PRONI presents the 6" coverage.  In other words, the blanks are because no sheets were available for that series.  You have to switch between the different layers.   By using screenshots, I was able to combine the sheet with the FVR junction and later coverage post conversion to narrow gauge.

You should have Patterson’s books and the later revisions by Joe Begley & Steve Flanders.

A previous post on this website included some additional information.   Unfortunately, I can’t remember the posting.  I can’t find a way of posting images here....found it.

One of the sketches was done by WJK Davies author of many narrow gauge books.  The sketch looks post-1955, after closure of the line to Londonderry.

Hope this is of some help.

104E51B4-586F-4CE6-8AE8-6CB38CB0E1DA.png

18DF70CC-41C9-49D4-AF58-1EF56DF13B6A.png

F472B5A7-1A5D-4DC5-B41D-7BD59CB43E93.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

11 hours ago, airfixfan said:

Thanks for your advice and I have over 40 photos and nearly 5000 words done already on just the history of the Strabane CDR station alone plus material to do GNR station soon.

We might be able to help each other? If interested send me a PM?

Hi,

The short answer is... yes, certainly.

Perhaps you could expand on your project so I get a better appreciation.

The c.1864 Griffith’s Valuation map shows the L&E and the junction with the FVR.  Detail is limited by the nature of maps, but some larger isolated buildings are good reference points.

Using the 1:2500 on Google Earth it’s possible to obtain general measurements.   See example attached.

The next image is all I’ve done on Strabane to date.

The final image is an example of what one of my finalised drawings - this time Stranorlar.

Any of this any use?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

image.png

• Like 1
  • Informative 1