Signal and level crossing lanterns

Rate this topic

Wexford70

Good morning all,

Can someone provide some information on the different types of level crossing / signal lamps?

I have seen similar lamps to the one shown, painted red (suggesting used on level crossing sin the south east) but of two different types:

1) Type as shown painted red with two lenses 

2) Same cast body type but one lens and on the back a rectangular glassed section as seen in these second photo.

My questions are:

a) were different types of lamps used for signals and level crossings?

b) what colour were the lenses on level crossings?

c) how often would the reservoirs of paraffin have to be refilled?

d) if the single lens lamp is for signals, what way did they point (bullseye towards the coloured glass in the arm?)

Thanks

Screenshot 2020-07-12 at 10.43.43.png

Screenshot 2020-07-12 at 10.59.04.png

I don't think all of the lamps were red. My recollection is that in the past they were black but some were red, maybe in more recent times.

The lenses on the LC were red I think as the burner would be clear but I suspect the lenses on a signal lamp were clear as they semaphore red & green lenses need to show the correct color aspect. There was a thread on the site before with some additional detail. I'll post a link IF I can find it.

Recent, Buttevant LC, 2012

Level Crossing (XC219).

Again, Black LC lamp with red (definitely not clear versus red on gate) lens

Foxford Station County Mayo Ireland 6th April 1977

This looks like your cutout on the back of your lamp. Possibly to aid lighting while on the ladder?

Abandoned Signal, Moate, Co Westmeath, Ireland.

Irish Rail 2612/11 in Kent Station.

Some signal lamps definitely had a lens on the opposite white side of the semaphore. I ind; know if the lens was white or red (probably) but it was visible with the signal at danger and occluded by a backing plate on the semaphore when clear

92.Z008 Rathdrum

Edited by DiveController
  • Informative 1

On 7/12/2020 at 11:02 AM, Wexford70 said:

My questions are:

a) were different types of lamps used for signals and level crossings?

Yes, see under.

b) what colour were the lenses on level crossings?

Double red bullseyes on LC, Single clear bullseye on signal.

c) how often would the reservoirs of paraffin have to be refilled?

Think once a week, open to correction.

d) if the single lens lamp is for signals, what way did they point (bullseye towards the coloured glass in the arm?)

Yes, as you have it there.

Practice was to paint LC lamps red in South East, but black elsewhere although some black LC lamps had red painted surrounds in the past which were perhaps broken or lost over the years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Refilling lamps would depend on the type of burner, some did last a week, especially in more recent times. Earlier, the Lampman's task would be a daily one or every few days.

The rear facing white lamp is for the signalman to be able to check the lamp is still burning at night, and as the back blinder (as seen on the Rathdrum signals) co-acted with the arm, it also showed the whether the arm was off or on.

Many signals latterly were converted to electric bulbs, as can be seen in the Cork view. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Signal and crossing lamps are different

A crossing lamp has Two equal sized lenses red in color the lamp housing may be red or black depending on rail company as a side at one time the crossing may possibly be attended by two street lamps with a half red street light the red facing the on coming road traffic as a warning there is a level crossing.

A signal lamp housing is black has odd sized lenses the larger one to light the signal the smaller one the back light which may also be on an angle is for the signal man to be able to see the lamp is lit the back blinder is to block the train drivers view of the back light.

Because if he saw it the train would stop and it would be a phone call to the signal man because of the unusual light for train drivers any unusual light regardless of color means stop.

• Informative 1

Hi DiveController

That Junction signal looks odd is it just a trick of the light one spectacle looks green the other blue.

I have never heard of a railway using both green and blue spectacles its usually one or the other not both.

regards John