Best shade of post 1955 CIE green

Rate this question

DoctorPan

Question

5 answers to this question

If you look at the reference to RAL 6037 I think this is the lighter green 

"A46 for a few years in between its silver and black eras). Both colour reference numbers match in slightly different light. They're as good as a match. RAL 6037 appears to be the same too."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.paintcolourchart.com%2Fral-colors%2Fclassic%2F6037.html&psig=AOvVaw2miKncRmu-68fur1pa-Mis&ust=1599825634442000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCJiI-4bF3usCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAO

That RAL 6037 is indeed as close as anything I've seen.

It is extremely hard to be exact seeing these on computer screens, but on a model it looks OK to me.

A note on colour matching: I arranged recently for IRM to test actual paint samples in those Fry models which I knew to be authentically painted (most but by NO means all!).

IRM appeared with a very complex set of colour samples, obtained at great expense I believe - and we tried to match many things, as simple as CDR red, or CVR dark carriage maroon.

We got several matched absolutely authentically, by comparing the colour card with the model - but in a few cases there was still just something which didn't seem to sit quite right on the sample. In my experience, personal memory of those who saw a colour day in, day out, in all weathers and lighting conditions, and especially if they have a naturally artistic eye, seems to beat anything else.

However, with RIM's help, job done. Once time permits, if we're not all locked down again, I intend to accompany another greatly esteemed reader of these pages, who has an all-singing, all-dancing Electro-Gubbins Machine which can match colours even more accurately that paint swabs, and who lives not far from me (you know who you are!). We'll do another job on this stuff....

Sadly, Fry's models are either silver, black'n'tan, or the OLDER green. He didn't do any model in the 1955-63 carriage green!

• Like 1