Can’t get DCC Murphy models to run with Guagemaster express.

Rate this question

Thom

Question

Hi,

I have a IE 201 and also 071 models with DCC from Murphy’s

I can’t get them to run on a DCC line. They sit on the main track making their noise, with the lights on, and they run grand on a DC track.

The lights don’t respond to the lights on/off on a Guagemaster express controller

I’ve tried to reprogram them in a simple way on a Guagemaster express on a programming track, which works for everything else I have, but even with giving them new loco numbers:  I can’t get them to run?

Is there is a simple set of numbers I can programme in using the Guagemaster express sequence to get them to run?

thanks a mil,

thomas

• Like 1

17 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, Thom said:

Hi,

I have a IE 201 and also 071 models with DCC from Murphy’s

I can’t get them to run on a DCC line. They sit on the main track making their noise, with the lights on, and they run grand on a DC track.

The lights don’t respond to the lights on/off on a Guagemaster express controller

I’ve tried to reprogram them in a simple way on a Guagemaster express on a programming track, which works for everything else I have, but even with giving them new loco numbers:  I can’t get them to run?

Is there is a simple set of numbers I can programme in using the Guagemaster express sequence to get them to run?

thanks a mil,

thomas

You can try reset of the decoders by programming CV8 with a value of 8. This should reset the decoder to factory setting. Do it a couple of times to be sure. The loco addresses will also be set to 3 when you do this.

Let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

😉

No joy.

both behave in the same way with the efforts.

SEND function seems to transfer the data properly

repeated cycled through cv8# and then cv8, even with me setting the loco number to 3, but won’t run.  

Moved it to programme on main, and the same difference

All it does is makes a slightly different noise when the speed control is altered by one increment.

But they do run beautifully on DC 🙂

ta

t

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thom said:

But they do run beautifully on DC 🙂

When running on DC is that without the decoders installed (ie with only the DCC blanking plate plugged into the 21 pin decoder slot), or is that with the Murphy Model LokSound decoders plugged into the models? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Noel said:

When running on DC is that without the decoders installed (ie with only the DCC blanking plate plugged into the 21 pin decoder slot), or is that with the Murphy Model LokSound decoders plugged into the models? 

Thanks guys,

I think both of them came DCC fitted, though I think I remember one of them being a nightmare to fit the chip.

Therefore I think one has a LokSound anyway, but they both sound the same. They are both fairly new.

When I did the CV8, 8 reprogramme as suggest by Irishthump, the only thing i noticed I think was a  change was that with each speed increment, that the sound of the Engine changed  1 tone to another - - though neither ever moved.

And to answer murphaph, both run on a DC track without removing the chip.

thanks

t

• Like 1

Thom

You say the two locos run fine on DC with the DCC chips installed! which means the chips may be OK, this would make me think- your accessing the locos with the Gaugemaster DCC controller may be at fault, also the fact the two locos are doing the same thing at the same time?

Does the Gaugmaster controller have an 'identify' option for a DCC loco on the test track? if it does use that to ID the loco and see if you can operate it and do the factory reset if required.

or

If you know the loco ID for certain!- when you do a factory reset (or any CV change) the loco should jiggle a bit with low volume clicks to tell you its doing something- did that happen in your previous factory resets?

If you get no jiggle n clicks your not programming that loco!

eoin

• Like 1

Utterly confluthered now, and I may have wasted everyone’s time:

I opened up the lid on the 201, took the decoder out, and put in the MM005 DCC chip which is meant for the for the cl.071

And it runs perfect on the 201 , on DCC and DC.

I’m wondering now if the chip on the 201 was for some reason buggered?

I’m wondering now did I ever put the 071 chip into the 071?

Basically Was I trying to be running them both effectively without chips ?

(Assuming that:

1) the the 201’s chip was buggered, and that

2) I forgot to put in the 071 chip into the 071? )

I’ll know the answer tomorrow when I disassemble the 071 to look and see is there a chip (I assumed it was in it - but I seem to have an extra chip for the 071 that is now quite happy in the 201)

It’s a wee bit of work to disable that the 071 - - but I’ll know tomorrow.

Would a DC train light up its lights and make lots of noise on a DCC track when the speed setting is altered.?

Once again, thanks so much to all

tom

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thom said:

Would a DC train light up its lights and make lots of noise on a DCC track when the speed setting is altered.?

It can, depending on the type of controller- some of them allow for a DCC loco with ID 0 to run, but as you say they make more noise and not really recommended for long running as it can damage the motor!

Could what you took out of the 201 to replace with the MM DCC chip be the DC blanking plate? It's rather different to a DCC chip, as in very few components on it.....

Eoin

1 minute ago, murrayec said:

It can, depending on the type of controller- some of them allow for a DCC loco with ID 0 to run, but as you say they make more noise and not really recommended for long running as it can damage the motor!

The most likely scenario when one puts a loco on a DCC track and it makes loads of noise immediately is that it has no chip in it?  DCC track has a constant 12volts running- kind of! which can run the lights and make a motor hum but not run!

What you took out of the 201 to replace with the MM DCC chip could be the DC blanking plate? It's rather different to a DCC chip, as in very few components on it.....

Eoin

I did an edit on the post above and it came in as a quote? I was responding to the question on ''running a DC loco on DCC track''

It's quite easy to mistakenly attempt to plug a decoder in upside down. Make a note of the orientation of the blanking plate when removing it and put a decoder in the same orientation facing the same way up. It could happen to a bishop.

17 hours ago, Thom said:

Utterly confluthered now, and I may have wasted everyone’s time:

I opened up the lid on the 201, took the decoder out, and put in the MM005 DCC chip which is meant for the for the cl.071

And it runs perfect on the 201 , on DCC and DC.

I’m wondering now if the chip on the 201 was for some reason buggered?

I’m wondering now did I ever put the 071 chip into the 071?

Basically Was I trying to be running them both effectively without chips ?

(Assuming that:

1) the the 201’s chip was buggered, and that

2) I forgot to put in the 071 chip into the 071? )

I’ll know the answer tomorrow when I disassemble the 071 to look and see is there a chip (I assumed it was in it - but I seem to have an extra chip for the 071 that is now quite happy in the 201)

It’s a wee bit of work to disable that the 071 - - but I’ll know tomorrow.

Once again, thanks so much to all

tom

The MM locos are delivered DCC-ready with a blanking unit in to allow running on DC only. Could you have confused this blanking unit for a DCC chip I wonder? Checking each loco's number on the Programming Track in advance of running is good practice - if you can't read the loco number then the DCC system is not happy that all is well and vice versa. If it is not happy on the PT then don't run it on the DCC Main Track until the problem is sorted.

58 minutes ago, irishthump said:

Yes that looks like a blanking plate alright.

Was this installed in a loco?

Yup /-) 

Apologies to all !

".....Therefore I think one has a LokSound anyway, but they both sound the same. They are both fairly new...."

Duh

The attached picture is  the 071 on the top

and the 201 with the 071 chip in place in the bottom

I guess that the "chip" in the 071 is a Blanking plate again?

IMG_6983.jpg