IR commercial 1989 - Food on board

Rate this topic

Noel

Fond memories of City Gold to Cork and back in the 80s when there was a decent on board service with hot meals, or enjoy a full Irish breakfast on the 07:40 Dublin to Cork on the comfy m3s.

1552475715_Screenshot2021-04-10at10_16_49.thumb.png.b0a06b9a2930bf80bda6167ad4fde057.png

The days when you could actually eat a hot meal traveling by train. Now only snack food from trolleys on board trolleys.

If they brought proper food back on the trains I'd leave the car at home more when travelling to Cork, Kerry and Galway.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Noel said:

Fond memories of City Gold to Cork and back in the 80s when there was a decent on board service with hot meals, or enjoy a full Irish breakfast on the 07:40 Dublin to Cork on the comfy m3s.

1552475715_Screenshot2021-04-10at10_16_49.thumb.png.b0a06b9a2930bf80bda6167ad4fde057.png

The days when you could actually eat a hot meal traveling by train. Now only snack food from trolleys on board trolleys.

If they brought proper food back on the trains I'd leave the car at home more when travelling to Cork, Kerry and Galway.

I thought CityGold was introduced in 1993? When Mk3 standards 7104, 7133 and 7156 were converted to CityGold coaches.

Nevertheless the catering offering was by all accounts excellent in this period, rather mirroring BR even to the point of decline going from the 2000s onwards and the loss of traditional restaurant cars.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, hexagon789 said:

I thought CityGold was introduced in 1993? When Mk3 standards 7104, 7133 and 7156 were converted to CityGold coaches.

Nevertheless the catering offering was by all accounts excellent in this period, rather mirroring BR even to the point of decline going from the 2000s onwards and the loss of traditional restaurant cars.

Yes it seems once they sub-contracted out the catering it went rapidly downhill. The Cork train lost the business community as a result. I hear only the enterprise does proper food now. I could be getting mixed up but I regularly travelled to Cork for work in the 80s and remember a host/hostess, sit down menus, linen service, delph, metal knives and forks, and taste wholesome if not gourmet food that was excellent for on board a train. I nearly fell off my seat with surprise when I was told there was a fax machine available and a power socket under the table as well as being offered a glass of champaign with my cooked breakfast. None of this nonsense sandwiches off a trolly with crisps and a can of 7 up like nowadays. 

Enterprise catering in first is still real good - though not included in the fare as with many UK services. All that's included is the tea/coffee. One of my last travels before the pandemic hit - better burger than you'd get in many burger places: 

20191106_181717.thumb.jpg.18a7c9f3689b9261c6c08b242cf2e46c.jpg

Seems the difference between it and Citygold is they use a different catering company, IR taking the cheaper tender offer vs. the better food quality / service.

Edited by ShaneC
  • Informative 1

4 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

Yes, you're right Citygold was introduced in 1993. 

3 hours ago, Noel said:

Yes it seems once they sub-contracted out the catering it went rapidly downhill. The Cork train lost the business community as a result. I hear only the enterprise does proper food now. I could be getting mixed up but I regularly travelled to Cork for work in the 80s and remember a host/hostess, sit down menus, linen service, delph, metal knives and forks, and taste wholesome if not gourmet food that was excellent for on board a train. I nearly fell off my seat with surprise when I was told there was a fax machine available and a power socket under the table as well as being offered a glass of champaign with my cooked breakfast. None of this nonsense sandwiches off a trolly with crisps and a can of 7 up like nowadays. 

They did offer an at-seat hostess service on the Mk3 sets but it was just known as 'Super-Standard' or 'First Class'. Until the CityGold service was introduced the seating was even 2+2, the difference was more full tables of 4.

Previously similar was offered in 'Super-Standard' in Mk2D sets and select workings utilising mostly Cravens stock including the converted Cravens 'Super-Standards'.

Wasn't so much the catering service as the seating comfort and amenities CityGold improved.

2 hours ago, ShaneC said:

Enterprise catering in first is still real good - though not included in the fare as with many UK services. All that's included is the tea/coffee. One of my last travels before the pandemic hit - better burger than you'd get in many burger places: 

20191106_181717.thumb.jpg.18a7c9f3689b9261c6c08b242cf2e46c.jpg

Seems the difference between it and Citygold is they use a different catering company, IR taking the cheaper tender offer vs. the better food quality / service.

I can't remember when they got rid of the restaurants, was it when the Mk4s replaced the Mk3s on Cork services or earlier? I do remember a website detailing some trips round Ireland in the last year's of loco-haulage, in one post was a picture of a Mk2D 'diner' branded 'Restaurant'. The photographer noted wryly that it was no longer anything of the kind being only a takeaway counter service of light refreshments.

17 minutes ago, exciecoachbuilder said:

Yes, you're right Citygold was introduced in 1993. 

Thanks for confirming

• Like 1

It used to be branded just 'Inter City 1st' in the CIE era before Citygold but yeah, from what l heard or read, Noel is right- the standard of food and service was excellent.

Too young to remember that myself but it would be nice to have experienced it.

Not sure what you get on Citygold these days.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, Rob said:

It used to be branded just 'Inter City 1st' in the CIE era before Citygold but yeah, from what l heard or read, Noel is right- the standard of food and service was excellent.

Too young to remember that myself but it would be nice to have experienced it.

Not sure what you get on Citygold these days.

That makes sense.

• Like 1