Modelling the County Donegal

Rate this question

J-Mo Arts

Question

Hello everyone and my apologies if this is a well documented topic.

I was wondering what the easiest way to get into 00n3 modelling of the CDR is. I know that the Backwoods kits are slowly being re-introduced by N-Drive (I have my eye on the class 5) and I know that Worsley Works makes the 4, 5, 5a locos and lots of stock, however I'm reluctant to buy those locos as they need motors and wheels etc, which can quickly get too expensive for me. The Backwoods kits had all their wheels, motor etc already included in the kit which draws me to them. I must say that I've never built a brass kit before, but I've built plastic and white metal (I'd start with a wagon or a coach before trying a loco).

I'd be really grateful for any opinions/advice on this!

• Like 1

On 26/4/2021 at 1:46 PM, J-Mo Arts said:

I was wondering what the easiest way to get into 00n3 modelling of the CDR is. I know that the Backwoods kits are slowly being re-introduced by N-Drive (I have my eye on the class 5) and I know that Worsley Works makes the 4, 5, 5a locos and lots of stock, however I'm reluctant to buy those locos as they need motors and wheels etc, which can quickly get too expensive for me. The Backwoods kits had all their wheels, motor etc already included in the kit which draws me to them. I must say that I've never built a brass kit before, but I've built plastic and white metal (I'd start with a wagon or a coach before trying a loco).

Just spoken to Neville about the class 5 he is having an issue about the wheels and motors so their could be a delay with these.

If you wanted to go down the Worsley works route then you could contact Branchlines about motor and wheels for these kits, it will however leave you to try and find suitable castings, you could always ask Neville for sets of casting from the class 5 kits as I understand he had had them done and may be willing to sell them to you, I have asked him if I can do that for the Worsley Works Class 4 and 5A kits and I think he is OK with that.

Colin

• Thanks 1

On 27/4/2021 at 12:46 AM, J-Mo Arts said:

To be frank the simplest/easiest approach at this stage is probably to continue your 3D modelling approach by designing and printing your own models as apart from the Worsley Works scratchbuilder parts no commercially produced CDR locos or stock is available. 

Although Backwoods Miniatures and Nine Lines produced CDR stock in the 1990s demand for Irish 3' gauge models sales were disappointing both companies focusing on the more profitable OO9 side of the business and discontinued their Irish 3' gauge models.

Nine Lines commissioned Parkside Models to produce plastic injection molded kits for a CDR open wagon and covered van in the early 1990s.

It might be worth joining the OO9 gauge society or the Irish OOn3 Facebook group, as society/group members may have CDR stock/kits for sale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/5/2021 at 11:25 PM, Mayner said:

To be frank the simplest/easiest approach at this stage is probably to continue your 3D modelling approach by designing and printing your own models as apart from the Worsley Works scratchbuilder parts no commercially produced CDR locos or stock is available. 

Although Backwoods Miniatures and Nine Lines produced CDR stock in the 1990s demand for Irish 3' gauge models sales were disappointing both companies focusing on the more profitable OO9 side of the business and discontinued their Irish 3' gauge models.

Nine Lines commissioned Parkside Models to produce plastic injection molded kits for a CDR open wagon and covered van in the early 1990s.

It might be worth joining the OO9 gauge society or the Irish OOn3 Facebook group, as society/group members may have CDR stock/kits for sale.

Hi John

To bring you up to date, sadly the Nine Lines kits are not available at present but there are moves to get them into production again (I hope), there has been a suggestion that other Donegal vans could be made from a laser cut in 3 mm ply with brass etched over lays stuck on with superglue.

The chassis could be either a 3D print or a brass etch, I think the days of multi media items of rolling stock are approaching fast. 

Nothing new here, something similar was tried out years ago with some early Graham Farish wagon kits I believe. I understand the concept behind this and for some reason those promoting this think the look and feel is far better, I have yet to see any prototypes but I am looking forward to seeing how this will develop.  

On 23/5/2021 at 8:07 AM, airfixfan said:

Good question Drumboe getting a new cab, bunker and side tanks etc.  Severe corrosion due to almost 60 years outside in the rain in the North West. However things such as the frames etc are original and in better condition than expected. 

Some Drumboe photos from Whitehead 2 weeks ago

20210529_134647.jpg

• Like 3