MIR Catalogue - How to get ?

Rate this question

FrankS

Question

Hi Guys,

I'm new here, and new to Irish Modelling. (Although I've had an interest for many, many years. ) But my first name is Patrick(although I use my middle name Frank) so that's got to be a good start.:D I'm pseudo-Irish, born in the capital of Ireland, Liverpool, nearly 67 years ago. My Irish family, the Fitzgerald's originally come from Tramore, Co. Waterford. My wife, Bernadette, howerver, is a genuine Wild (very) Irish Rose from Co. Meath. I've been an Australian for 41 years, now living in Tasmania and a railway modeller in every scale from N to G for about 55 years. General Classification - Cranky Old Man :)

So much for the Intro, now for a question.

Over many years I've held my breath in the hope that Model Irish Railways would eventually move into the late 20th Century and get a website or e-mail address. But now, I've come to the conclusion, that I'm more likely to die first, so joining this group spurs me to try some other way to find out just what MIR make.

So, please can some kind soul tell me just HOW do you get a PRINTED catalogue from them ( I'm trusting in this that they have heard of Caxton and Gothenburg and don't have their price lists inscribed on parchment by Monks at Croaghpatrick).

I know it can't possibly be something easy like sending your VISA card details, but Please God, let it be something that some one from outside Ireland can do. I can manage VISA, PayPal, English stamps, English cheque, maybe even English Postal Orders but something like 6 Irish 1 euro 4th class postage stamps is beyond me, I'm afraid.:confused:

Thanks for any help.

Frank Savery - franksavery@bigpond.com

Edited by Anthony
Language

12 answers to this question

Hi Frank and welcome to the site. As regards MIR I am afraid you are to late as the closed last year and ceased trading. Some of the guys on the site here scratch build and will build to order hopefully they will contact you. You also have Murphy models who produce RTR locos and coaches. If you PM Wrenneire on the site he should be able to hook you up with what ever you want

Frank

Good to hear another voice from the Southern Hemisphere, I live in the Shakey Isles but had an enjoyable trip to Tasmania chasing EE Units

At one time MIR did have a printed catalogue it threw mine out in one of those periodic clean ups, perhaps some of the lads in the group may be able to help.

MIR started in the late 70s early 80s with whitemetal kits for the Bubble cement wagon and B141 diesel and gradually expanded to cover most of CIE & NIR locomotive & CIE wagon types.

MIR was unusual by British standards in complete kits which included motor gears wheels paint and transfers.

Many of the kits were re-tooled and produced as one or two piece resin castings complete with etched detail to simlify assembly.

The introduction of the Murphy Models (Lima) 201 and later B141 and later Silver Fox 001 & B201 would have affected loco sales, poor sales volume and the owner wishing to retire were the resons given for discontinuing the business.

John

Great intro frank, and welcome aboard.

Even though MIR may have passed into history, all is not lost. To my mind, this is the golden era for anyone interested in irish railway modelling. There's this spanking arena to ask stoopid questions and get the answers from the most knowledgeable about, and whatsmore Murphy Models are producing models of Irish outline diesels at a standard that not alone challenges the German knack for scaled engineering, but surpasses that of the established UK manufacturers, at a cost that is not unreasonable given the quality.

They also have rolling stock in the offing of stunning quality.

Aligned with that are the many respray facilities of existing rtr stock that can be converted without much compromise, decal producers who make transfers from anything from early steam era to yesterdays latest logos, kit makers in etched brass, resin, and much in between, to producers who do small runs of items to suit demand. There is also a database of drawings of the prototype to assist those who want scratch build freight or passenger stock, and this is all available here. And the geniuses to answer any questions ( not me!).

Don't despair at the loss of MIR, but be assured that a cranky old man from Tasmania/Waterford/Liverpool with questions would always be welcome here. Amiright lads?

Richie.

Edited by Glenderg

Eamonn

Can you scan the Catalogue and post it on here?

Like Mayner mine hit the Green Bin when Granny Bracken went on one of her mad cleaning binges

I broke every bone in her corset as a big thank you!

I have a list of all his wagons somewhere, I will try and dig it out

Guest hidden-agenda

Welcome to the site Frank and greetings from the North of Ireland. The site is like the mafia we have people every where. Ask questions and there is some one here who can nearly always help the guys are very knowledgeable and no question is a silly question. I have the printed version of the MIR catalogue ( no pictures ) so if its any use let me know i can email it to you.

Regards Gareth.

Edited by hidden-agenda

I built a pair of 121s, a 141 & an A Class but sold them about 7-8 years ago.

The 121 & 141 were quite good by the standards of the time they were introduced, MIR originally used their own whitelmetal bogies

and stretched the wheelbase to use the contemporry Mashima DS10 motor and Romford gears. Most lads ended up using Athearn chassis which could pull anything with the heavy MIR whitemetal bodies.

I think the whitemetal A Class was produced by Q Kits and sold by MIR. The A was pretty horrendous even compared with the original resin Q Kit bodies..

Along with the modern wagons MIR also produced a very nice former Model Wagon Company (Ardrossan) GNR (I) cattle wagon.

John