30 Ton Brake Van

Rate this topic

Kirley

30TonBrakeVan003.jpg

Finally finished the Studio Scale Models CIE 30 Ton Brake Van Kit. Fiddly in parts but having done one a second one would be much easier. Some parts were missing or mislaid by me and I had to improvise from the scrap brass. I used thicker plastic card for the roof but am not totally satisfied with it. Overall a nice model and thanks to Westie for introducing it.

Nice job that Kirley!

I started one of the kits I got last week there on Monday - got the plastic underframe together & the bulk of the brass body asembled last night. Cut the wrong tab off the first of the veranda end ribs, realised the mistake, and then avoided doing the same on the other three!

The kit itself appears to be easy enough to put together, with the half etched bend lines being a big help when bending the brass into shape.

Looking real good, love the weathering!

Thanks for the feedback, I selected a 0.3mm styrene sheet as the real roof is about 0.5" thick. What were the reasons you use thicker styrene as I may use this for future kits if it is more practical.

May I use your picture on the SSM website?

Looking real good, love the weathering!

Thanks for the feedback, I selected a 0.3mm styrene sheet as the real roof is about 0.5" thick. What were the reasons you use thicker styrene as I may use this for future kits if it is more practical.

May I use your picture on the SSM website?

Sorry for not coming back to you sooner but I've been away - I used thicker styrene and heated it with a hair dryer to get some more of a curve to the roof and felt the thicker plastic held the shape better. You can use my picture if you think it is of good enough standard to meet your needs.

Sorry for not coming back to you sooner but I've been away - I used thicker styrene and heated it with a hair dryer to get some more of a curve to the roof and felt the thicker plastic held the shape better. You can use my picture if you think it is of good enough standard to meet your needs.

Sound man. Thanks for getting back and I look forward to using the photo.