CIE Leyland Comet tipper

Rate this topic

Mayner

I bought a couple of Base Toys Leyland Comets from Hatton's after Christmas

I thought I had to do something when I saw the photo of the CIE Leyland Comet tipper, but chickened out on the 3 way tipping mechanism.

DSCF1355.JPG

DSCF1356.JPG

DSCF1359.JPG

The assembly is fold up no need for solder about 30 minutes work.

If anyone is interested let me know and I will look at costs

• 1 year later...

Looks very well indeed.

Those fuel tanks tended to be finished "galvanised" (i.e. "silver"). Obviously, they'd look grey in a black'n'white photo. The tipping body of this thing looks as iof its green too, though it's hard to tell. Lorry bodies in "green snail days" were as far as I remember painted wagon grey. I'm nearly sure - but could be wrong - that wheel centres were green.

The tipping body of this thing looks as iof its green too, though it's hard to tell. Lorry bodies in "green snail days" were as far as I remember painted wagon grey. I'm nearly sure - but could be wrong

You may be right, JB. I know it's B&W but when you look at the cab and the tipping body they're very different shades on the outside. Obviously the photo is lit from behind and to the right of the photographer and the inside of the tipping body looks darker of course.

Well done Kevin for spotting this one the first enquiries after nearly two years !

I will have a look at the figures, but the cost of an individual body may be high as I would need to spread the tooling costs across a small number of enquiries.

If the cost was not too high I would take one John

YOu could be with there, JB. I didn't realize how popular these were in terms of road freight way back when

1953 CIE Leyland Comets

Some interesting old news paper clippings on CIE truck haulage et al.

Like the UTA in Northern Ireland, CIE had a near monopoly of surface transport in the 50s & 60s. It was almost impossible to obtain a road haulage license, a business had the choice of using CIE or buying their own trucks.

Moracrete had a fleet of grey dropside Comets with drawbar trailers for delivering concrete pipes and blocks from their Crumlin factory, as a child the factory was one of the highlights on a journey on the 50 Bus to town or to visit relatives.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12732[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12733[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12734[/ATTACH]

Based on a minimum order of 10 I can supply the Leyland Comet tipper bodies at $27.50 NZ (£15) plus $4.00 international postage.

I have tweaked the CAD work so the body can be propped in a raised position.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12732[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12733[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12734[/ATTACH]

Based on a minimum order of 10 I can supply the Leyland Comet tipper bodies at $27.50 NZ (£15) plus $4.00 international postage.

I have tweaked the CAD work so the body can be propped in a raised position.

Any more interest in this, or just myself and Kirley?