Permanent Way Weed Sprayer at Omagh

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

I have noted recently that every post I submit in these forums can be found on an internet search, whether its text or photographs.

you can watermark the photo so no-one make off with them as their own

.... or you load them on something like Flickr and just provide the link (notwithstanding Ernie's comments regarding pilfering of photos)

Edited by DiveController

you can watermark the photo so no-one make off with them as their own

.... or you load them on something like Flickr and just provide the link (notwithstanding Ernie's comments regarding pilfering of photos)

Yes I always watermark the photos on flickr (unless its some of the photos taken today with little value), unfortunately you need to watermark the photos on or near the interesting bits! Items off my site that were nicked were trimmed to cut off the watermark. I still have a fair number of JW Armstrongs images from the early 50's to upload when I get time.

Ernie

Hi

Once you publish on the internet you've basically given that intellectual content away, even with storage sites you will find by the very fact of uploading to that site you give all rights to them, and they control it from there on....

Watermarking has its problems as mentioned above, I reckon the best way to publish photos is to limit it's re-use by uploading at less than screen resolution say 640x480, this then displays reasonably OK on screen without magnification, but if one tries to zoom in it just gets blocky and not usable, also print quality is dyer

The upside on here, is once you publish you have assisted like minded people and its very much appreciated by everyone, there is a minority that take stuff and claim it as their own- their scavengers and by the fact they take stuff without permission or recognition are low people who cant model for S***, and not to be worried about.....

Eoin

I still have a fair number of JW Armstrongs images from the early 50's to upload when I get time.

Ernie

Great photos. Many thanks!

the best way to publish photos is to limit it's re-use by uploading at less than screen resolution say 640x480, this then displays reasonably OK on screen without magnification

Actually, I'm always looking in the background and frequently find a lot of detail as interesting as the main focus of the photo, but I appreciate what Eoin is saying and I'm not sure if there is a perfect solution

Edited by DiveController