Tools and Equipment

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

I'm building a few Provincial Wagons and obviously my tools aren't suitable for the smaller parts. I've just broken a fine 'cheap' bit trying to drill out the holes for the grab rails on the sides. Obviously rubbish bits, bought on eBay. I also need a decent set of miniature screwdrivers to secure the screws in the couplings - why doesn't anyone use slotted screws any longer. I want to replace these screws but what size are they?

Maybe Nelson has the know how?

Edited by GNRi1959

I found that Expo Tools & Equipment ttps://www.expotools.com & Eileen's Emporium https://eileensemporium.com/ are a good source of modelling tools and material in the UK. Both have been in business for many years have on line shops and attend most of the major UK exhibitions.

Drills & Chucks:

These days I use Titanium coated HSS twist drills for work between 0.5-1.5mm, small titanium coated drills are less inclined to flex and break than plain HSS.  Both Expo & Eileens stock reasonably priced drill sets. https://www.expotools.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=titanium coated&PN=16pc-HSS-Titanium-Coated-Twist-Drill-Set-11532.html#SID=109.

I have a number of pin vices for holding these drills bought from suppliers in the UK & the States. The most useful tool for holding drills of less than 0.7mm is a miniature drill holder that I got as a freebie with my 1st order from Micro-Mark in the States, this fitsinto the collet of a larger drill.

IMG_3019.thumb.JPG.dce4a0a1e9d3d437edfa92d872e83863.JPG

Nuts & Bolts:

Traditionally British and Irish modellers have used small BA nuts and bolts, though fine metric threads are creeping in.

Bolts are normally supplied slotted countersunk or cheese head.

8, 10, 12 & 14 BA are probably the most common sizes used in 4mm/OO gauge models with 10BA the most common for general assembly work.

These threads will self tap in plasticard and possibly resin.

Nuts, bolts, washers, taps and dies are available in these sizes from Expo & Eileens. Expo supply a useful BA and metric tap and drill sets complete with drills in the necessary tapping and clearance sizes.

Edited by Mayner

6 minutes ago, brianmcs said:

Philip Dix in Dublin sell a lot of small tools for the jewellery trade which would also be of interest

http://www.dixequipment.com/

Thanks!

That could be very useful - some really nice things there.

In the piercing saw section, I feel it's (almost) always worth having an adjustable frame - you can still use a broken blade then..

http://www.dixequipment.com/products/saw-frames-best-quality-german-made/

All looks good to me.

One piece of advice I was given in my early days of modelling was to always buy the best tools I could afford - something I'm afraid I haven't always kept to! 

Where I have been lucky is in acquiring old tools from modellers who have given up the hobby. My current favourite is a gauge for measuring thickness of wire, metal sheet etc. Dimensions are read from a clock like dial and it measures down to 0.1mm. Not sure how I ever managed without it.

2 hours ago, David Holman said:

One piece of advice I was given in my early days of modelling was to always buy the best tools I could afford - something I'm afraid I haven't always kept to!

If it is a tool that you use often, there is something to be said, sometimes, for having a 'good' one and a 'cheapo rough' one...