L&LSR Tooban Junction Signal Box

Rate this topic

Colin R

Hi guys I wonder if anyone can help me I have most of the published books on the Swilly railway but I need some clear front and rear photos of the Signal Box at Tooban Junction on the Swilly.

I have been able to work out the end details but not the length of the box so the photos need to be clear enough to count the number of bricks use per course.

It has been said that the box was 31ft long but when I tried to work that out in 4mm scale  from the photos I have, it appears miles to long.

Colin

Hope this link works

http://www.bluebell-railway-museum.co.uk/archive/photos/jjs/b04/4-56-1.htm

Definitely not 31 feet!

You can buy copies of the print from the Bluebell Railway, this is the link http://www.bluebell-railway-museum.co.uk/archive/photos/buy.htm

The prices  appear reasonable if the web site prices are up to date. Quite a selection of Tooban Junction photos.

Ernie

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 1

Thanks Ernie

I have just ordered the front shot from them, from what I can make out the back of the cabin was almost identical, except for the blind spot where the chimney was located.

The next question from this is was there a standard L&LSR station building design?

Colin

I don't think there was a standard design as such, but the 4 sections of line had certain characteristic features. Graving Dock to Buncrana no distinctive style although Buncrana was fairly impressive.

Tooban to Letterkenny , Newton Cunningham, Sallybrook, Manorcunningham and Letterkenny shared various architectural features.

The Carndonagh extension buildings shared similar brick decorative work. The Burtonport extension buildings were pretty basic. 

The Swilly was fond of curved corrugated iron roofing on its goods and loco sheds and also on Graving Dock station.

L&LSR Letterkenny shed 4-6-2t No 8, CDRJC Tank in background img197

Smaller signal boxes are best described as single pitched roof 'garden sheds'

The revised edition of Dr EM Patterson's Lough Swilly book recently published by Colourpoint has some small line sketches of various station buildings.

Ernie

• Like 1

Tooban Junction was a Railway Signal Co. design, replicated very frequently in different sizes throughout Ireland and Britain, although Tooban looks quite nnarrow from pictures.

The small flat roof buildings (Bridge End, Letterkenny, Fahan, Buncrana, Clonmany and Carndonagh are examples) are Dutton and Co. style huts, either by Duttons themselves, or possible by JF Pease who took them over.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2018 at 1:32 AM, Irishswissernie said:

I don't think there was a standard design as such, but the 4 sections of line had certain characteristic features. Graving Dock to Buncrana no distinctive style although Buncrana was fairly impressive.

Tooban to Letterkenny , Newton Cunningham, Sallybrook, Manorcunningham and Letterkenny shared various architectural features.

The Carndonagh extension buildings shared similar brick decorative work. The Burtonport extension buildings were pretty basic. 

The Swilly was fond of curved corrugated iron roofing on its goods and loco sheds and also on Graving Dock station.

L&LSR Letterkenny shed 4-6-2t No 8, CDRJC Tank in background img197

Smaller signal boxes are best described as single pitched roof 'garden sheds'

The revised edition of Dr EM Patterson's Lough Swilly book recently published by Colourpoint has some small line sketches of various station buildings.

Ernie

Looks like Letterkenny shed.

There is a story of 4-8-0 No 12 being pulled out of the shed for a photographer (after Burtonportline working ended) with the aid of a wire rope. The story went that No14 was left outside as they did not want to risk two locos on the turntable. The LLSR Letterkenny good yard remained open for goods traffic served by the CDJR after LLSR goods operations ceased in the early 1950s.

• 2 weeks later...