"Smugmug" photos online

Rate this question

jhb171achill

Question

12 answers to this question

On 13/12/2021 at 1:33 AM, jhb171achill said:

I found a photo on the smugmug site which I'd like a copy of, and publishing permission if possible. The site says that copyright is held by a number of different people. Having identified this one specific image, does anyone know how I can find out who holds the copyright and, ideally, their contact details?

Could you provide a link to the photo @jhb171achill? Might be able to find the information you're looking for if I can follow the link.

Edited by hexagon789

Hi hexagon 

It seems I didn’t read the writings on it properly - it says that the particular photographer (whose details are private) does not “under any circumstances” grant permission for copies, nor enter into any correspondence!

I must presume, therefore, that unless anyone knew him personally and might “put in a word” for someone else, it’s a dead duck…. The photo was of a steam train leaving Dunsandle for Loughrea. It’s not even that great a photo, but I like it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KMCE said:

Pray tell, why would you put said image up on the internet were this your inclination???

Indeed; but the wording of the initial bit is, I assume, verbatim from the photographer! So unless he changes his mind….   Before I read that bit I had emailed smugmug’s own “help line”; it was they who pointed this out to me……

Its a different locomotive from that in my shot. I have had a quick scan through the Smugmug collection but don't recognise any of the views. Some of the research is a bit suspect especially photo no 210 which is said to be J15 255 on the Kerry branch.

Well yes it is the Kerry branch but its actually the Van & Kerry branch in Mid Wales and the locomotive appears to be a GWR Dean Goods or ex Cambrian 0-6-0.

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Its a different locomotive from that in my shot. I have had a quick scan through the Smugmug collection but don't recognise any of the views. Some of the research is a bit suspect especially photo no 210 which is said to be J15 255 on the Kerry branch.

Well yes it is the Kerry branch but its actually the Van & Kerry branch in Mid Wales and the locomotive appears to be a GWR Dean Goods or ex Cambrian 0-6-0.

Saw that!

On 19/12/2021 at 2:17 PM, jhb171achill said:

Hi hexagon 

It seems I didn’t read the writings on it properly - it says that the particular photographer (whose details are private) does not “under any circumstances” grant permission for copies, nor enter into any correspondence!

I must presume, therefore, that unless anyone knew him personally and might “put in a word” for someone else, it’s a dead duck…. The photo was of a steam train leaving Dunsandle for Loughrea. It’s not even that great a photo, but I like it!

That's a shame, but I suppose at least the photo was of interest!

35 minutes ago, hexagon789 said:

That's a shame, but I suppose at least the photo was of interest!

Yes - can't see the point myself of yer man posting it either - but that's the photographer's business, I suppose.... I liked the shot because it shows an ancient MGWR brake 3rd with a brand new tin van, and a wooden-bodied GSWR bogie....