DCC Controller Recommendations - Newcomer

Rate this topic

Keano30

Hello all. I'm relative new to the whole Railway modelling community. I have some experience using's Hornby's DCC Railmaster software to control my trains but I'm finding it frustratingly annoying as it will not work with my Class A model which I recently bough. To this end I'm thinking there must be a system out there which is simpler which I could use.

I'm pretty proficient with computer so I'd like to have something I can use on my laptop to control the DCC system. So far I've been looking at various options including the Bachmanns Dynamis System (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YgH37S-lxM&t=230s) or using iTrain (https://www.berros.eu/en/itrain/) software. 

The iTrain software would need a lot of other equipment to connect the track to I presume whereas the Bachmanns does not. Am I correct in this thinking? 

I'd like to get your thoughts on which systems would be best and of course affordable for a relative new comer to the the whole thing. I'm open to suggestions on other systems besides those mentioned above.

I'd love to try before I buy also so if you know of anyone or company which would let me do that I'd appreciate their contact details. 

All recommendations welcome and thanks in advance for your help.

Diarmuid in Kilkenny.

Another vote for NCE Powercab. Easy to use, easy to programme locos, fabulous handheld cab ergonomics especially for eyes off use and sound locos with lots of functions. Setup the option button as shift and you have quick access to 26 functions. Throttle control via buttons for rotary knob, best of both worlds. Their more expensive Pro Cab system is basically the same, but is a 5amp system designed for larger layouts. IMHO Powercab would suit most Irish layouts and could be expanded anyway in the future if more power was needed (ie via booster), if there were to be a lot of locos running simultaneously on a layout. 

I have the Z21 too which is a good system, but just for me personally I don't like using smart phone touchscreen user interface to control a loco, its difficult to shunt due to the need to take eyes off the loco to look at the phone screen to position fingers, and more awkward to precisely control throttle setting sliding fingers on touch screen rather than the eyes off tactile feed back from a cab with physical buttons or knobs. But I know many folk who love their Z21. There is the more expensive black Z21, and the less expensive white Z21 which is sold on ebay as its removed from Roco starter train sets. You can plug Multimaus physical cabs into Z21 system for folks who prefer buttons.

The Lenz 100 system while a little dated is good quality and popular in Europe. Gaugemaster Prodigy advance (MRC) also popular, but personally I don't find it as easy to programme as the NCE and don't like the smaller buttons on the cab.

Have a look at as many systems as you can and suggest try a few if possible by visiting clubs or friends layouts. Once you hold a cab in your hand you'll know in an instant which is the right system for you. Don't be tempted by overly expensive systems like the ESU eCos 50200 with a lot of complicated functionality, looks amazing and as a tech geek I was drooling over it, but a games console system cannot be hand held.

• Informative 2

I have used the Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance for years and have no complaints at all. It's very simple to use, I found the Powercab a little more involved when doing simple programming tasks. Gaugemaster also had excellent after sales service on the rare occasions I had any problems.

The only problem now is Brexit has made them difficult to get your hands on so I've been shopping around for an eventual replacement. I think I'll go for a Lenz Set101 when the time comes, I have no interest in iPhone or tablet control and I like the look of the Lenz handheld.

Incidentally, if anyone is selling or knows of anyone selling a Gaugemaster Prodigy please let me know. I'm constantly on the lookout for a spare!

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

21 hours ago, Noel said:

Another vote for NCE Powercab. Easy to use, easy to programme locos, fabulous handheld cab ergonomics especially for eyes off use and sound locos with lots of functions. Setup the option button as shift and you have quick access to 26 functions. Throttle control via buttons for rotary knob, best of both worlds. Their more expensive Pro Cab system is basically the same, but is a 5amp system designed for larger layouts. IMHO Powercab would suit most Irish layouts and could be expanded anyway in the future if more power was needed (ie via booster), if there were to be a lot of locos running simultaneously on a layout. 

I have the Z21 too which is a good system, but just for me personally I don't like using smart phone touchscreen user interface to control a loco, its difficult to shunt due to the need to take eyes off the loco to look at the phone screen to position fingers, and more awkward to precisely control throttle setting sliding fingers on touch screen rather than the eyes off tactile feed back from a cab with physical buttons or knobs. But I know many folk who love their Z21. There is the more expensive black Z21, and the less expensive white Z21 which is sold on ebay as its removed from Roco starter train sets. You can plug Multimaus physical cabs into Z21 system for folks who prefer buttons.

The Lenz 100 system while a little dated is good quality and popular in Europe. Gaugemaster Prodigy advance (MRC) also popular, but personally I don't find it as easy to programme as the NCE and don't like the smaller buttons on the cab.

Have a look at as many systems as you can and suggest try a few if possible by visiting clubs or friends layouts. Once you hold a cab in your hand you'll know in an instant which is the right system for you. Don't be tempted by overly expensive systems like the ESU eCos 50200 with a lot of complicated functionality, looks amazing and as a tech geek I was drooling over it, but a games console system cannot be hand held.

Thank you everyone I appreciate the advice and I will definitely go for this. 

Noel you mentioned that the 5amp one if better for bigger layouts. The layout I'm going to build will be quiet large see attached image, which I'm in the planning stage of right now. I presume you would recommend the Pro for this or not?

image.png.f94cf46b9ba170ad1f6d377c70fded5e.png

Edited by Keano30

• 1 year later...
On 8/1/2022 at 3:13 PM, Keano30 said:

Thank you everyone I appreciate the advice and I will definitely go for this. 

Noel you mentioned that the 5amp one if better for bigger layouts. The layout I'm going to build will be quiet large see attached image, which I'm in the planning stage of right now. I presume you would recommend the Pro for this or not?

image.png.f94cf46b9ba170ad1f6d377c70fded5e.png

Which controller did you go for in the end, and what feedback would you have given, as a beginner?