Kadee Couplings

Rate this topic

Keano30

Hello all,

I want to convert my Murphy models from the standard couplers to Kadee couplers. Just wondering if you have any recommendation on which Kadee couplings to use on the Class A 056 and the Class 121 murphy models and coaches. 

I've seen there are a number of different sizes, 17" to 20", which ones should I use for best results? Has anyone used the magnetic uncouplers also, are there any issues with these? 

17KADEE_3083613_Qty1_1.jpg

18KADEE_3083614_Qty1_1.jpg

19KADEE_3083616_Qty1_1.jpg

20KADEE_3084059_Qty1_1.jpg

308KADEE_3086308_Qty1_1.jpg

Hi, much had been said on this topic previously on this website but all over the place as part of other topics and this is a topic that finally deserves a thread of its own. Nonetheless you should search this site as there is a mine of information available

It is not possible to give a complete answer to your question as there are many variables but for what it is worth I'm pasting a response I provided  to a similar question by another member quite recently:-

On 4/1/2022 at 2:03 PM, patrick said:

What Kadee do you recommend for the brake van John?

If I may offer an opinion, this is not a straightforward question to answer.  Some trial and error may be needed to achieve the outcome you desire as all circumstances are not the same. A key objective is to achieve the closest possible coupling, and Kadee offer 4 couplers to fit NEM sockets, #s 17, 18, 19, & 20, the shortest being 17 increasing in length up to 20. I have found that #17 is not suitable for use with rolling stock fitted with buffers as the buffer length prevents the couplings from coming together (assuming #17 is used on both items of rolling stock  but may work with a 17 on one and an 18 on the other).  The minimum radius of the track on your layout needs to be taken into consideration since coupling may be achieved satisfactorily on a straight section between two items of rolling stock fitted with say # 18s but they may not couple on a curve, and if the  radius is too extreme they will buffer lock and derail, note buffer length is a factor here and is not standard.   Mixing the coupling lengths used on your rolling stock may be an option to achieve a better median distance between wagons or coaches  but personally I prefer standardisation particularly for goods stock which is more likely to be shunted than coaches.  Hope this helps. 

• Agree 1

Thank you guys I appreciate the advice and will take onboard all when buying the couplings. 

For those of you who may come upon this thread later looking for the Knightsbridge thread here is the link to it

Edited by Keano30

I have No.18 fitted to all my locos, 121, 141, 181, 201, & A Class, 27 locos in total. The back of the buckeye head needs to be in line with the buffers. You could use No.19 if you wish, No.17 too short, No.20 too long. As previously said track curvature also plays a part, add to that coaching stock varies as well.

03175A66-6267-4D42-9014-710CD744D6A3.jpeg

2C1CB47A-6B81-4C11-9369-13A950197DD0.jpeg

E15571B9-97CA-4190-967D-DB3657E56FAB.jpeg

21 hours ago, Keano30 said:

Hello all,

I want to convert my Murphy models from the standard couplers to Kadee couplers. Just wondering if you have any recommendation on which Kadee couplings to use on the Class A 056 and the Class 121 murphy models and coaches. 

I've seen there are a number of different sizes, 17" to 20", which ones should I use for best results? Has anyone used the magnetic uncouplers also, are there any issues with these? 

17KADEE_3083613_Qty1_1.jpg

18KADEE_3083614_Qty1_1.jpg

19KADEE_3083616_Qty1_1.jpg

20KADEE_3084059_Qty1_1.jpg

308KADEE_3086308_Qty1_1.jpgI never had any problems with any size.  Just make sure you don't get buffer lock.

I've had great success with all of them.  I always try to go with the smallest I kind before getting buffer lock on smaller radius turns.