GSR crest reproduction

Rate this question

jhb171achill

Question

This afternoon I was discussing GSR carriage liveries with some esteemed colleagues, and I mentioned that I had a GSR crest mounted on a board which could be photographed or scanned by someone who might be able to make scale transfers of it.

If anyone is interested in this, let me know. At the moment I have no need for them, as I'm fixed in a sort of 1955-68 mode, but in the long run if I get more "old" wagons, like KCME's and other offerings, and if the Hornby or Hattons 6-wheelers are looking good, maybe GSR liveries.

With growing interest in the "grey'n'green" era, before the "black'n'tan" era, maybe there might be a developing interest in 1930s / 40s times - if so, a transfer of this crest would be needed. Many of us have the grey "00 Works" J15s, and who knows what other offerings might appear. Add old wagons, Provincial's old guards' vans and other wagons, and six-wheel coaches, and you've everything you need for a GSR-based layout.

I would be interested in anyone's thoughts on making up GSR transfers. I know of two people who might be interested in using them at the moment.

• Like 3

17 answers to this question

Ease of availability of transfers always encourages experimentation into other railways. My steam era interests are mainly shades of green, mainly because I can order the right lining and snails off Steve from Railtec.

I have experimented with some GSR transfers I got off SSM and I would love to have some GSWR, MGWR and other liveries about a la the RPSI heritage rake in days gone by but the main block is lack of decals. 

Less barriers to Irish modelling the better imo.

Edited by DoctorPan
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, DoctorPan said:

Ease of availability of transfers always encourages experimentation into other railways. My steam era interests are mainly shades of green, mainly because I can order the right lining and snails off Steve from Railtec.

I have experimented with some GSR transfers I got off SSM and I would love to have some GSWR, MGWR and other liveries about a la the RPSI heritage rake in days gone by but the main block is lack of decals. 

Didn't know SSM did them - they're not advertised (Des - could you comment?)......

There are original GSWR, DSER & MGWR crests in the Railway Museum (Headhunters) in Enniskillen; also both UTA crests. All ripe for the measuring. The Malahide Model Railway Museum also has crests of GNR, DSER and MGWR.

BDC4D48E-5F62-4891-881E-BC2829EDBF97.jpeg

DF0A96FC-A48F-4B5E-B438-4457007B7D8C.jpeg

• Like 2

The above highly accurate (!!!) scale drawings show (upper) correct style of GSR coach lining post-1933 or so. Lower shows position of crests.

On a recent thread somewhere, mention was made of British stock RTR which could approximate, given a very long two-foot rule, for Irish, and the subject of Bachmann LMS coaches came up. As bought, these are obviously in LMS livery, with a crest in the middle as shown in pink above. The GSR used TWO crests on bogie stock, as had the GSWR before them, at least till the early 40s.

"Beware of imitators"; some warnings read - some LMS models bought off the shelf have all sorts of livery inaccuracies, usually involving the lining. But the style shown above, which is correct for GSR, is reproduced accurately on some of these models. So, in order to "convert" a LMS Bachmann coach to GSR, remove the (pink) LMS crest and apply two (green) GSR ones, plus of course the "L M S" lettering. With the allowance of a "two foot rule", the class designation numbers on the doors will do, although in accuracy terms the LMS ones are a bit too small.

Edited by jhb171achill

I might add that in the short-lived GSR chocolate brown & cream "main line" livery, a couple of years either side of 1930, crest info was the same, and while the lining was in the same positions, all three lines were black; one line separating the lower brown from upper cream, and the upper two lines contrasting with the cream background.

ALSO forgot to add - if converting any of those Bachmann or Hornby coaches to look GSR-ish (or, indeed, NCC), get rid of the light grey or shiny silver roofs! They should be a matt dark grey.

1 hour ago, DoctorPan said:

Indeed those railtec transfers are a great job 5 (or more) coaches for 25 ish euro if you Include transport fees ect. 

same said for my Adams radial tank, would not have been possible if it weren’t for the extra bits of the Bandon tank transfer sheet from SSM

and yes. I believe SSM does seem GSR chest trasfers

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Didn't know SSM did them - they're not advertised (Des - could you comment?)......

There are original GSWR, DSER & MGWR crests in the Railway Museum (Headhunters) in Enniskillen; also both UTA crests. All ripe for the measuring. The Malahide Model Railway Museum also has crests of GNR, DSER and MGWR.

BDC4D48E-5F62-4891-881E-BC2829EDBF97.jpeg

DF0A96FC-A48F-4B5E-B438-4457007B7D8C.jpeg

Des does them if you ask, there was post on this forum, someone did some 6 wheelers in GSR colours (might have been Popeye's bench) and said Des supplied them, that's how I came aware of them 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DoctorPan said:

Des does them if you ask, there was post on this forum, someone did some 6 wheelers in GSR colours (might have been Popeye's bench) and said Des supplied them, that's how I came aware of them 

I consulted Popeye’s workbench and indeed he does have them listed 

B2573127-1E8C-437F-AC4D-B74E38600D6C.thumb.jpeg.673ebb8b7dade46c4d8e37d733e38412.jpeg

I also found these yolks which could serve as inspiration?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

In 4mm scale you can also get off with using an old style GWR crest, which should be easily found from various transfer suppliers 

2ABDF04B-2B0B-4C7C-8258-510D9FE272FD.jpeg

Cyril Fry used LNWR transfers on quite a few Irish models!

2 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

I consulted Popeye’s workbench and indeed he does have them listed 

B2573127-1E8C-437F-AC4D-B74E38600D6C.thumb.jpeg.673ebb8b7dade46c4d8e37d733e38412.jpeg

I also found these yolks which could serve as inspiration?

I’m in coach-heaven: what are those?

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

LMS 48ft Coach ratio kits

they do look the buisness 

But they’ve flat ends?

I’ve one unmade, but it has curved ends, which isn’t really suitable for Ireland. The above coaches have the correct flat ends for all Irish lines bar the WLWR. Which, of course, means that they CERTAINLY “look the business”!

Any more info?

37 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Is it an easy kit to build? 

Bogies are the only tricky bit but it still went together in an evening or two. Spent nearly as long building it as cutting the seat kits to fit in.

3 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

But they’ve flat ends?

I’ve one unmade, but it has curved ends, which isn’t really suitable for Ireland. The above coaches have the correct flat ends for all Irish lines bar the WLWR. Which, of course, means that they CERTAINLY “look the business”!

Any more info?

Looking at Popeye's thread, he says he replaced the ends to be flat ends 

• Like 1