Irish models and availability

Rate this topic

Jb1911

12 hours ago, Jb1911 said:

Was there many bogie wagons used in Ireland? I know a few, more specifically was there any used on the MGWR, other then the Bretland of course. I’ve read there were single bolster timber wagons aswell. Was wondering if anyone had more information on these? 

Cheers

There is a General Arrangement drawing of a 10 Ton "Timber Bolster Truck" in the Compendium of MGWR Non Passenger Coaching Stock and Goods Vehicle Drawings which is available from the Irish Railway Record Society. 

The 10Ton Timber Bolster Truck is a short 13'8" -8' wheelbase wooden underframe flat wagon which is visually similar to the Single Bolster Wagons in the Peco/Parkside originally PC575 Permanent Way Wagons kit.

The kit is good conversion material for Irish Wagons all wagons are supplied with single lever (similar to that used by the Irish companies) in addition to the gear used in mainland UK, the low ballast wagons look similar to those used by the GSWR.

The underframe kit (2 sets) is available separately and a good start for scratchbuilt wagons and source of spare "Irish" Brake gear.

Peco/Parkside also produce a pair of  ex LNWR "Loco/Traffic Coal Wagons from the same source which look reasonably close to older (pre-1917) GSWR/GNR, but not MGWR coal wagons!

I built both the PW and Coal Wagons, I will post some photos when/if I can find them.

613222374_LNWRPWWagonset.thumb.png.e8720853339163e5fb6abf568914cd06.png

• Informative 2