Mid 90's NIR 111 details colour codes

Rate this topic

murphaph

Hi all,

Does anyone have any good colour code matches for the red buffers and yellow warning panel on these? The most important thing, the blue is ok, Revell 52. I think it was actually RAL 5010. Revell 52 and my RAL 5010 are dead ringers for each other on a sample anyway so it's the red and yellow details I'm after. 

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

In the end I just used RAL swatches and matched up as close as I could from a MM sample but I decided against the RAL yellow that arrived and used Vallejo Air Chrome yellow instead, which I felt was closer to the MM 112 anyway (I took a sample from 8113 but the yellow is lighter on that compared to 112). The red I chose was this one:

https://www.ralcolorchart.com/ral-classic/ral-3013-tomato-red

I believe NIR buffers have been different shades of red down the years. I've seen more post office red types but MM seems to have used the more burgundy shade so I've tried to replicate that.

2 hours ago, murphaph said:
2 hours ago, murphaph said:

I believe NIR buffers have been different shades of red down the years. I've seen more post office red types but MM seems to have used the more burgundy shade so I've tried to replicate that.

I have to confess I never saw any difference and I saw these locos almost daily for very many years…. If there were any differences they would have been very slight. Buffer beam red on all railways has been pretty standard from early steam days….

As for an actual burgundy shade, as in NIR maroon, the buffer beams wouldn’t ever have been that dark.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Agree 1

Just now, Galteemore said:

Indeed, Humbrol do a bespoke ‘buffer beam red’, which I have used. Many modellers actually use a dusky pink, which is what the real thing looks like fairly quickly in service.

Indeed - and while not the subject matter of this particular post, buffer beams on steam locos became weathered and dirty to a degree they were barely identifiable as red at times.

• Agree 1

I've actually seen 111 pics with the beam and buffer shank in two different shades of red. When I say burgundy I mean something like this:

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=2557816934510963&set=g.426208300769851

or this:

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=187126985506491&set=g.426208300769851

This one is a mix of shades and or dirt:

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=144044430628427&set=g.426208300769851

Could all be tricks of the light or camera differences of course but in the absence of a code I thought the best thing was to use the MM models as a reference.

I also never understood why the buffers are painted differently across the three locos, 112 being different with just the buffer shanks themselves painted, not the bosses or whatever they are called. Odd.

13 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Indeed, Humbrol do a bespoke ‘buffer beam red’, which I have used. Many modellers actually use a dusky pink, which is what the real thing looks like fairly quickly in service.

Good luck Getting Humbrol enamel's Now, Pulled off the Market due to Toxins or such.

Will be back later this year with only 80 colours apparently. right pain in the hole.