Cavan & Leitrim Railway brake van 16L - ref pic?

Rate this topic

Pete00018

Hi

Does anyone know or has a photo of C&L brake van 16L? 

I've checked the usually books, the new Fall & Rise of C&LR, The Irish NG in Colour, The Last Decade, NG Rolling Stock, Smoke Across The Drumlins and Ernies Photo Album on Flickr and cannot find one specifically of 16L.  There are clear photos of 14L,17L and 18L for reference but I've been unable to ID any photo of 16L.

Have a shapeway brake van being prepped to becoming 16L if I can find a photo for ref.

Thanks All

• Like 1

Just checked my Cavan albums and come up with 3.As my computer skills are not up to this picture sending lark i'll have to print them up and send them by post,however the details are very simple,the whole van including ends are alli clad with single swage line halfway up the body this includes the side doors,hope this helps Andy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seagoebox said:

Book... The Cavan & Leitrim Railway , the last decade by Tom Ferris & Patrick Flanagan, published 1997 by Midland Publishing has good pictures of sister vans  14L and 17L on page 54.

Thanks, got a these, they are good details on some of them, I'm just trying find figure out the exact difference of 16L from the other three vans. Planning on doing all four vans.

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1214.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy Cundick said:

Just checked my Cavan albums and come up with 3.As my computer skills are not up to this picture sending lark i'll have to print them up and send them by post,however the details are very simple,the whole van including ends are alli clad with single swage line halfway up the body this includes the side doors,hope this helps Andy.

Thanks Andy.     

The bodies of 14L and 18L both had extra T shape bracing on the sides while 17L seems in most pictures to have only a single strap around the centre of the body [exception being page 45 of The Irish NG in colour - the pic looks like there is T bracing - but it doesn't show up on the other pictures].

The rear door of 14L also seems to have been revised with small window and extra bracing straps. 

And the doors all seem to be matchboard ones however I want to check 16L before cutting and strapping, already filling in and smoothing the panels on the van I got..

IMG_1212.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Andy Cundick said:

Pete the "strap" around the middle is a joggle in the top sheet to overlap the bottom sheet in stop water ingress whereas the doors on the others seem to have residual framing 16 is just plain sheet so is the plainist one of the lot,Andy.

That is perfect info, thanks a mil Andy and will make fitting out this one out the easiest.

On a hunch, I forgot to check The Transport Library website and I think this is the elusive van on track lifting duties, the number just about visible and looks like 16.

C&LR Cavan & Leitrim Railway Steam locomotive 6T Class Hunslet 3' gauge 0-6-0T b. 1898 (ex-Tralee & Dingle Rlwy)  at Dromod  dated  - 9.9.59 - David Anderson - DA20214C&LR Cavan & Leitrim Railway Steam locomotive 6T Class Hunslet 3' gauge 0-6-0T b. 1898 (ex-Tralee & Dingle Rlwy)  at Dromod  dated  - 9.9.59 - David Anderson - DA20212

I surprised there are not more pics of the van around given how the others have shown up in many images.

- Peter

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Andy Cundick said:

I suspect the paneling differences are down to what alli sheet they had,probably 16 was paneled first and got away with full sheets whereas the others end up with increasingly more joints,Andy 

I’d say so, yes. C&L vans probably weren’t high in CIE’s priority list then!