Merlin lets of some steam!

Rate this topic

Got some cool footage of 85 earlier in gorey so said i would do a bit of a photo dump. shame about the resolution i must get myself a better phone.

Arrival into Gorey

A dedicated crew of firemen quickly springing into action in order to keep the engine chuffing!

Blowing off steam!

IMG20220731184958_01.thumb.jpg.578ce005f081a092a9782ed3561e3af2.jpg 

"The Belly of the Beast"

Another brilliantly loud blow off, followed by departure.

The microphone on this phone certainly did not do that sound justice, at least throws of people running away with their fingers jammed into their ears will do testament to document just how loud this hissing was :D 

• Like 3

Excellent. Sadly she stalled at Rathdrum - bad coal and injector problems I hear - and has had to have diesel assistance home. The passengers, I understand, have been forwarded by other means. My dad was on it - still waiting on a DART at Greystones c2200…..

Edited by Galteemore
  • Informative 1

7 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Excellent. Sadly she stalled at Rathdrum - bad coal and injector problems I hear - and has had to have diesel assistance home. The passengers, I understand, have been forwarded by other means. My dad was on it - still waiting on a DART at Greystones c2200…..

Merlin has not exactly had a good record on the "Seabreeze", No 171 seem to have a more consistent record being used to pounding up and down the grades of the Derry Road with heavy trains in the 50s and 60s

Diesel was substituted for 85 because of fire risk when we rode the "Seabreeze" in 2018 and she failed (at Greystones?) on the return leg in 2019.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mayner said:

Merlin has not exactly had a good record on the "Seabreeze", No 171 seem to have a more consistent record being used to pounding up and down the grades of the Derry Road with heavy trains in the 50s and 60s

Diesel was substituted for 85 because of fire risk when we rode the "Seabreeze" in 2018 and she failed (at Greystones?) on the return leg in 2019.

It’s unfortunate that 131 isn’t cleared to run in the south yet. The Qs were really the queens of the Derry Road for many years and did some fine work - would be most interesting to see her on the DSE banks. The S class were indeed incredible performers - essentially an Edwardian design ( I know, 1913 technically isn’t ‘Edwardian’) that could hold its own against all her successors - an S still holds the Belfast-Dublin steam record, and an S on form could match a V or VS. On rare occasions, too, an S could even be seen as far away as Enniskillen. So glad we have one safe and sound - and on her way back to the main line in 2023 hopefully….images from RPSI website. Look how deep 171’s post 1938 rebuild frames are ! https://www.steamtrainsireland.com/rpsi-collection/7/no131

81787EC2-4F63-4EBE-B80B-AD3D4E4834DD.jpeg

8EAA19AB-6157-4FD2-865F-40D6F535E4CB.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 3