Craven TPO might-have-been

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

Very interesting I would imagine it came about as a proposal when they were replacing the 4w TPO's in late 1960's they were eventually replaced with three GSR built coaches sating from 1935 which in turn became 2979,2980 and 2981 it would have been a waste of some fairly new Cravens. The three GSR TPO's built in 1935 converted in 1967/68 soldiered on in service until the early 1990's. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, flange lubricator said:

And at that time a brand-new coach out of the box.

Exactly! A strange one indeed. I also saw several drawings done at Dundalk for 49 foot SIX-wheelers for the GNR, with a 30 ft wheelbase!

While I don't know the details, I am aware that jhbSeniorx2 designed several vehicles for the GSR which were never actually built, plus the designs for the bodywork of Drumm trains C & D was substantially changed between drawing office and actual build. Interesting to speculate what other "might-have-beens" are, or were, out there!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, josefstadt said:

Very interesting JHB. Any details what the original designs were? Same as trains A and B maybe? 

No - rounded ends, continental-looking. Fry’s model was built “off-plan”; I’ll get pics of it when I’m in the museum later on. He very possibly got the plans from my grandfather, who was involved in the bodywork design!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

No - rounded ends, continental-looking. Fry’s model was built “off-plan”; I’ll get pics of it when I’m in the museum later on. He very possibly got the plans from my grandfather, who was involved in the bodywork design!

815048760_TrainCModel24092022.thumb.jpg.3ded54cf17f5ae692e5a0b4d15aa3b9c.jpg

Train C Fry Model Locomotives of the GSR Clements and Mc Mahon.

1544207067_TrainC24092022_0001.thumb.jpg.5b34bf20204e53906e5bbd7afa463316.jpg

Train D  Locomotives of the GSR Clements and Murray.

Rounded cab ends appear to be a common styling feature on pre-War 'Streamlined" railcars in both Europe and America including the LMS Articulated Diesel Train https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:LMS_Diesel_Multiple_Unit_80000–80002.jpg, the Flying Hamberburger and American Car and Foundry "Motor-Railers.http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/nysw1006.jpg

I wonder whether the original streamlined design of Train C and D was intended for a  prestigious Tourist Train?, CIEs included a luxury diesel railcar "Tourist Train" as a priority in their original dieselisation proposal (1946).

Train A or B successfully completed a VIP special from Amiens's St to Gorey and retrun in the early 30s, so its possible the concept could have been extended to longer distance such as Kingsbridge-Killarney with charging and top up points en-route.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 1