The Narrow Gauge One

Rate this topic

Tullygrainey

• 5 months later...

Thanks David. My technique is a bit make it up as you go along until it looks right. Doesn't always work. In this case, the woodwork was first given a coat of Ronseal woodstain to take the brightness off the wood, (English Light Oak as it happens but only because that's what was on the shelf) followed by thin washes of black and grey paint. Some dry-brushing and weathering powder finished the job. I often scrub away at the surface with whatever comes to hand to distress things a bit. Usually end up with as much paint on my hands as on the model. 

The rails holding the drums in place are soldered up from brass rods and scrap brass etch. The various bits of strapping are 10 thou plasticard with rivets embossed with a scriber. Both are painted with Humbrol Metalcote 27004 Gunmetal which dries matt but polishes up nicely using cotton buds. Then some dry-brushing with rust colours (mainly Humbrol Matt enamel 113).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

Thanks Alan. I’ll let that percolate and see what results I can brew up. I’ve got some real wood sleepers to paint and your techniques look fab. Hopefully your wisdom will filter through to my brushes! I’m also a huge fan of 27004 for all kinds of uses. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Tullygrainey said:

It's been quiet of late at the Stone Yard but the Permanent Way gang have recently acquired a new wagon. Clearly no expense was spared in the fabrication.

IMG_94042.thumb.jpeg.59995a26afae0fecee29c71d78b92f20.jpeg

It's believed to have been built using repurposed timber sourced from the Costa Coffee Company.

wagonbuild.jpeg.b65aec15695fd2c3482d07e180154540.jpeg

IMG_9412.mov 37.67 MB · 1 download  

Absolutely amazing as always Alan. (I love a good alliteration). The way you got the worn/rotted/splintered effect on the end of the short posts just above the wheels is stupendous. That looks like more than paint and powder? Did you have to get rough with it?😀

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, derek said:

Absolutely amazing as always Alan. (I love a good alliteration). The way you got the worn/rotted/splintered effect on the end of the short posts just above the wheels is stupendous. That looks like more than paint and powder? Did you have to get rough with it?😀

😆 Thanks Derek. The old coffee stirrers are pretty rough to start with and they’re surprising hard to cut but they splinter nicely if you just grip them with pliers and snap them. 
They’re everywhere on the layout if you look. A very versatile resource and free with every regular Americano. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 1