2 Axle Beet wagon - Provincial Wagons - Bullied corrugated open wagon

Rate this topic

Noel

Photographed at Gort today. Provincial Wagons resin Beet kit completed and decorated. Apparently at one time CIE had over 4000 of these wagons and along with H-Vans carried most of the goods traffic on Ireland's railway network for decades. As a child I remember staring at long rakes of these in passing loops and sidings of nearly very station along the main lines. They carried everything from timber, to agri-supplies, tractors, cars, steel, cement, cable drums, cast iron street fittings, builders suppliers, and even livestock on occasion.

IMG_9301.JPG

Edited by Noel
Bad Spelling - staring v started
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • WOW! 3

Noel, thanks for the Advertorial!

As Tim says, a very nice bit of building (the spindly brake gear takes patience, but is worth the effort) and superb weathering - although we've come to expect that from you!

For the rest of you, I have a supply with me, so have a go at a true Irish Icon.

Noel, do come and say "Hi". We've yet to meet!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TimO said:

That looks great, especially the look of the weathered galvanise with an element of shading. I think this is a difficult look to achieve. Did you apply many paint layers in the process and what colours have you used?

Primed with Halfords grey primer than sprayed with railmatch freight grey, weathered using a white wash wiped off, and a tiny bit of sleeper grime with the airbrush, then a few touches of rust cotton bud rubbed. Underframe and wheels rail match sleeper grime and a few specs of humbrol rust dabbed on in spots.

Edited by Noel
typo
  • Like 1
  • Informative 2

On 29/10/2022 at 10:57 PM, TimO said:

Noel, thank you for these details, I’ll try out something similar and hope for similar results but it will a while before I do it.

PS I may have applied a thin wash of oxide red over the grey before almost completely wiping it back off

• 2 weeks later...

The beet wagons, in the 40's in Inchicore were being created and finished at 12 a day, and 6 on a Saturday, because it was a half day. 

Ended up at nearly 1200 in total, a fixture in nearly every station down through the decades. 

So universal, that they nearly fell through the cracks, like the one or two H vans or the absolute shameful lack of preservation of a cattle wagon. The most humble of wagons, but you cannot tell the history of Irish Railways without it.  

Well, we can't revisit the past, but maybe we can hold on to what's left.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bufferstop said:

The beet wagons, in the 40's in Inchicore were being created and finished at 12 a day, and 6 on a Saturday, because it was a half day. 

Ended up at nearly 1200 in total, a fixture in nearly every station down through the decades. 

So universal, that they nearly fell through the cracks, like the one or two H vans or the absolute shameful lack of preservation of a cattle wagon. The most humble of wagons, but you cannot tell the history of Irish Railways without it.  

Well, we can't revisit the past, but maybe we can hold on to what's left.

I'm not sure what you mean by "beet wagons", but if you mean the corrugated sided opens, they date from 1956 and the first batch was built at Limerick. My source is Irish Railfans' News for April 1956. The series began with No.12000. 

I think that you are referring to a statement in "Locomotives and Rolling Stock of CIE and NIR" which DOES refer to a 1945 start date for the open wagon series 11817 - 14672. The statement is confusing as it seems to cover all opens, both the traditionally built ones and the later opens with their unique corrugated sides and triangulated chassis.

Some of the surviving corrugateds were double-stacked on redundant 4 wheel container flats in 1985 to make the iconic "Double beets" - also at Limerick Works!

Oh and I may have news for you.

One of the corrugateds does survive at Dunsandle (in 2014 anyway).

DSCN1483_comp.thumb.jpg.e42c31e3566052fc112ca8552d7f1e68.jpg

I think it may be there in a "private" capacity, but someone here will put me right on that! I used Robert Drysdale's photos of it extensively in producing our kit - yes, we really did research it!

Edited by leslie10646

33 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "beet wagons", but if you mean the corrugated sided opens, they date from 1956 and the first batch was built at Limerick. My source is Irish Railfans' News for April 1956. The series began with No.12000. 

I think that you are referring to a statement in "Locomotives and Rolling Stock of CIE and NIR" which DOES refer to a 1945 start date for the open wagon series 11817 - 14672. The statement is confusing as it seems to cover all opens, both the traditionally built ones and the later opens with their unique corrugated sides and triangulated chassis.

Some of the surviving corrugateds were double-stacked on redundant 4 wheel container flats in 1985 to make the iconic "Double beets" - also at Limerick Works!

How many bulleid wagons have made it to preservation….I can only think of the one heading for Maam cross and the one in Dunsandle 

BD4FCC51-0538-4B9D-BB88-3A02B53936E8.thumb.jpeg.bba2eb0b868c7e7906ff95f05f2fc203.jpeg

Edited by Westcorkrailway

Hi Leslie

No, I think what I'm talking about, came from an earlier IRRS Journal, it always stuck in my head, especially about the half day on the Saturday.

Needless to say, I can't find the reference. I could be totally wrong.

But, anyway, you're going to like, hopefully, what's going to emerge from the chrysalis,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

If ever there was a case for building a replica wagon for a museum, the Irish cattle wagon has to be up there. One railway company above all, of course….

4CC56F0A-5556-4D4F-B8C3-7838478C007E.jpeg

Available as a kit, like two other wagons mentioned above from a well-known maker of Fine Wagon Kits...........

Ah, we've got a series of wires crossed - I didn't find mty photo quickly enough!

For some strange reason, I couldn't find any reference to these wagons being built in the "Recent Developments" of the 1950s IRRS Journals (or in my index). Well done IRN for providing the answer!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

How many bulleid wagons have made it to preservation….I can only think of the one heading for Maam cross and the one in Dunsandle 

BD4FCC51-0538-4B9D-BB88-3A02B53936E8.thumb.jpeg.bba2eb0b868c7e7906ff95f05f2fc203.jpeg

Three as far as I'm aware, the third is in deepest Clare. The next week or two should see something interesting emerge 😉

• WOW! 1