Power Clips Question concerning building of new layout

Rate this topic

Blu Bianco

Sorry for the ignorance, lol, I'm new to DCC but I thought it better to ask now rather than taking the risk and getting it wrong!

I am in the process of designing my first layout. Hopefully I will start building it late January/early February. It will most likely be a 10' x 4' layout.

Firstly, I've got more than enough 'DCC Electro Point Clips' R8232 for every point I will have on my layout.

However, as for the power clips, I have the DCC power clip that comes as standard with any Hornby Digital Train set, then I also have a second 'Digital Power Connecting Clip' R8242.

Would you think those two power clips, along with a point clip for every point, be enough to sustain power around my layout? Or would you advise more power clips (R8242) to be installed?

I would suggest not using any power clips and running 2 bus wires around the layout and connecting these to the track via dropper wires. Always solder your wires to the track as this will give you the best contact never use clips as they can become unreliable and give you bad contact. Take a look at Boskonay's layout build as he has good photos and explains how to wire up the layout.

I would suggest not using any power clips and running 2 bus wires around the layout and connecting these to the track via dropper wires. Always solder your wires to the track as this will give you the best contact never use clips as they can become unreliable and give you bad contact. Take a look at Boskonay's layout build as he has good photos and explains how to wire up the layout.

I have to agree, DCC needs good connections to work properly. Soldering each joint is the only way to go.

Thanks again Dave, I won't be actually wiring and soldering until February at the earliest, therefore if anyone can point me in the direction of a how to video, that would be great! If not, thanks for your kind offers of help, I may need to take you up on them! By the way, I hope your flu clears up soon. It seems hardly no one escaped from it this season!

Thank you also BosKonay.

Its just when you have never done something involving wiring or soldering before, the apprehension would be two-fold for someone like me. Firstly, I would have no knowledge of all the little bits and pieces and the basic equipment that will be needed for it, before you even start! Once I have those ready and on hand, then I suppose thats half the battle. Therefore, pointers as to what exactly (wire types, best place to get, anything else, such as extra power feeds, etc) I will need, before I even start wiring and soldering, would be welcomed. (I imagine a soldering iron would be a start =)) )

After that, I can get onto the wiring and soldering, and if I can't find anything suitable or helpful on the net, or get stuck with an aspect, then I may have to ask on here, if thats ok.

A background would be that I'm planning a 10' x 4' layout, (as its my first own constructed one!) with gaugemaster ballast underlay for the tracks. I know this is not a favourite of many but it is how I'm going. It will be DCC controlled (Hornby Select) and my Hornby transformer would be a 4 Amp, rather than the standard 1 Amp version.

Hopefully, I will probably pick it up quite easy and wonder why I was that bothered in the first place!

For Soldering, I'd recommend:

Draper 40W Soldering iron

APOWERSMALL71416_SI25.jpg

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_154788_langId_-1_categoryId_212549

Under 20 euro and replacement tips are readily available.

To go with it, but any standard 'electronic' lead free solder (not the plumbing type) Again, Halfords have a roll for a few euro

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_196405_langId_-1_categoryId_212549

You'll find similar in most hardware/electrical shops if you're not near a halfords (or you can buy them online).

In terms of 'useful accessories' I use / would recommend something like the following:

3rd.jpg

- http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Helping-Hand-Glass-Magnifying-Adjustable-4-Model-Airfix-Great-For-Soldering-/400375217743?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item5d3838fe4f

Handy for holding components and perfect for grabbing wires for tinning, etc. The magnifying glass is also useful for small detail work.

- http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-5x-Universal-Cleaning-Sponge-56-x-56-x-2mm-Solder-Iron-Yellow-Cloth-Pad-161-/120984793697?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item1c2b417261

Needed for cleaning the iron tip when using

cki.jpg

- http://www.ebay.ie/itm/CK-Automatic-Wire-Stripper-495001-Brand-New-/130329732810?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item1e5841e6ca

Auto wire stripper - trust me, you'll wonder how you lived without one of these!

For dropper wire ( to solder to the tracks), I use:

R510240-01.jpg

- http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/p/security-alarm-cable/5102202/

In addition, a few pliers, tweezers, and bits and bobs are handy, but that's everything you'll need to safely and comfortably solder your layout :)

Edited by BosKonay

Hi Blu, I am in your situation regarding soldering, I have not mastered this task, I intend this new year to do so and to apply it when required. Having said this, my layout is 8 years old, oo gauge, DCC, 102 points,(manual), 40ft. x 10ft. and still growing. I have a Hornby Select unit, soon to be replaced. Most of my locos are DCC and some DC, most of my points have Hornby power clips and I have not yet experienced a problem, granted I keep the track clean,I use graphite carpenter's pencil on all points. This is time consuming considering there is 600ft of track, My only power source is a hornby power clip. Luckily, I have not as yet no problems, fingers crossed. I do agree that the best practice is proper solder connections. My advice to you is to learn how to solder and follow your dreams. I am in the process of following my dreams, I just have to learn how to solder. Happy days.

Hi Blu, I am in your situation regarding soldering, I have not mastered this task, I intend this new year to do so and to apply it when required. Having said this, my layout is 8 years old, oo gauge, DCC, 102 points,(manual), 40ft. x 10ft. and still growing. I have a Hornby Select unit, soon to be replaced. Most of my locos are DCC and some DC, most of my points have Hornby power clips and I have not yet experienced a problem, granted I keep the track clean,I use graphite carpenter's pencil on all points. This is time consuming considering there is 600ft of track, My only power source is a hornby power clip. Luckily, I have not as yet no problems, fingers crossed. I do agree that the best practice is proper solder connections. My advice to you is to learn how to solder and follow your dreams. I am in the process of following my dreams, I just have to learn how to solder. Happy days.

Hi Brian, welcome to the forum by the way. Its good to have you on board.

At least I'm not the only one then! That shows it is possible to get a layout running well on just the basics, without having to solder. But as you state, you're relying on everything to work without a problem. Thankfully for you, it has. Well done, it sounds an impressive layout!

(Out of interest I wonder how many on here have the soldered method compared to those who have the basic power clip set up?!!!!)

I was originally going to set it up without soldering, given my layout would be substantially smaller in area than yours. Plus the patience aspect of wanting to get it set up as quickly as possible!!!!! I will have more than enough electro clips for every point, etc. I suppose I could and see how it works and go back if I need to solder but given the advice here, I may go down the soldering route first.

Thanks for the kind words and good luck with following your dreams.

This one's not bad. Practice on an old bit of track and you'll soon be OK.

Thanks for the clip Broithe. I am studying it for future reference!

As a question to throw out there, out of curiousity, how long approx. would it take a person who was fairly experienced in wiring and soldering, etc, to connect and set up a 10' x 4' layout? (Given he had all the supplies and equipment on hand)

Edited by Blu Bianco