Best DCC Controller for a small project?

Rate this question

Leyny

Question

Haven't made the jump to DCC yet but will be for a small engine yard I have planned. It'll be only 8' x 2' but could have up to 12 locos on it, albeit I obviously wouldn't be working more than 2 or 3 at any one time. In terms of quality, ease of use, and value for money, what would DCC controller would users here recommend? I'm thinking either NCE or Z21 (I'm not a fan of Hornby) but happy to consider anything else recommended. 

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

whats your ideal price range and skill level?

I built my dcc controller on a chinese arduino mega with an ethernet shield and the official arduino motor shield for less than 50 euro all in.(motor shield cost the most rather than risking a chinese one)

it plugs into my home router and i control it via an app on one of my phones or tablets, or JMRI on a pc.

Its actually not that difficult of a thing to set up, but i would say its not for complete beginners as you do need a very small bit of programming to get it up and running although all code is provided for on the projects website. if you can comfortably build a pc and install windows for example this should be no bother to you.

you only get 2 amps of power though unless you invest in a different motor controller, which might not support 12 locos sitting idle on a layout although works just fine for running 2 or 3 trains

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sean said:

whats your ideal price range and skill level?

I'd be willing to spend up to €300-400 if it were worth it (as opposed to spending say €100-200). I've no experience of DCC but I'm confident I could figure out the Techie side of it quickly enough. 

Hello,

This afternoon I have been helping get a layout ready for a show in 4 weeks (this show at Lenham, Kent http://frenchrailwayssociety.org/ ). We have converted it for DCC and most of us have used various Roco DCC sets, which are widely available and easy to use. One of the group has an NCE powercab, which we all had a go with and it is very user friendly.

The scrolling control is very good for slow speed shunting and engines can easily be selected very quickly. Up and down keys can also be used to control locos and it works well with sound fitted ones. All our locos have 2 digit numbering for DCC. The display is very clear about what loco is selected and whether it is in forward or reverse. The display can also be set to show the amps the loco is drawing, very useful.

We did find the locos do not like even a hint of dirty track, which will be a pain at shows, as track gets dirty very quickly. It seems the NCE user guide is rather poor, and it is best to look at you tube videos about using the system.  

I hope that helps with your choice. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

16 hours ago, Leyny said:

I'd be willing to spend up to €300-400 if it were worth it (as opposed to spending say €100-200). I've no experience of DCC but I'm confident I could figure out the Techie side of it quickly enough. 

outside of the arduino method the other end of the scale is the roco and nce options which most people seem to go for, I like the roco and have played with one a little and the app is nice but i dont think it can do anything that my arduino system cannot and is a little restricted as it uses its own protocol(not too badly mind you). however it is plug and play mostly straight out of the box.

I think you need to stop an ask yourself how do you want to drive the trains? do you want handheld controls or do you want the ability for app control over bluetooth(and maybe you want both eventually). Do you want your trains to be smart controllable ie automated runs eventually etc  or will you always drive them manually.

Do you want something you can take out of the box and just plug in and go or do you mind spending additional time setting up a system for the first time.

There are also small DCC controllers out there such as the bachmann ez command and ive always liked the look of these for their simplicity but at the same time they are supposed to be very limited in terms of programming and you might not be able to access all of the locomotives functions with one of these. @DJ Dangerous has one but i dont know if he has used his one too much yet. they come up used on hattons from time to time.

Whatever route you go down, you will need to work approximate power needs for your layout before you start shopping. every decoder on the track will draw some amount of current even when doing nothing. it can be wise to leave some overhead for safety reasons and or future expansions.

• Thanks 1

On 23/7/2023 at 6:12 PM, Leyny said:

If I were you I'd be looking at either Roco or Lenz. GeorgeConna mentioned above that he has the Z21 and I've heard nothing but good things about it and you can get it for around the €200 mark. I'm looking at the Lenz 101 for my own layout in the future but that's in the €300-400 range.

At the moment I use a Gaugemaster Prodigy 2 which I absolutely love, but it's getting on ow and it's very hard to source a new one from anywhere but the UK. The Lenz or Roco can be ordered from Germany and you bypass any Brexit shenanigans.

• Informative 1

Lenz, NCE and Digitrax have a reputation of being bullet proof in terms of reliability and durability and all produce basic starter systems. All three brands have a reputation of being conservative in their techology, but have the advantage that their starter sets are upgradable from basic to intermediate to advance level. I still use the command station from my first starter set an intermediate level Digitrax Empire Builder bought in 2000, upgraded with additional Throttles (hand held controllers) wireless radio.

The basic Digitrax Zephyr express set has the capability to operate 20 loco addresses and 20 throttles, with a 3amp power capacity and read-write CV addresses, the Empire Builder has been replaced by the Evolution Advanced set had a 5amp power capacity and could control 22 locos/throttles.

I don't know of the supply situation with NCE and Digitrax in the EU, apart from the starter sets, I bought Digitrax Throttles and Accessories direct from "Tonys Trains" in the United States while living in Ireland and NZ, better proces despite shipping and import taxes

• Like 1
  • Informative 1