Loco refueling points?

Rate this question

irishthump

Question

11 answers to this question

I am not sure about fuel more likely water, power and sewrage connections.

One of the interesting things about the Heuston rebuild is that the services for watering, fueling and cleaning the trains run underground through a system of tunnels under the 6'.

I am not sure about fuel more likely water, power and sewrage connections.

One of the interesting things about the Heuston rebuild is that the services for watering, fueling and cleaning the trains run underground through a system of tunnels under the 6'.

Thanks for that info, Mayner. I had a hunch that I might be wrong on that one!

I'm looking for some reference pictures of refueling points for my own layout, are there any at Heuston or do locos refuel at Inchicore?

Those look like water / waste water only. The hoses for fuelling tend to be a red hose that is about 3 inches wide. You can see the red fuelling hose in this video of Connolly platform 1.

Shunting the stock into platform 1 connolly station dublin .

There are also 2 fuelling points on Connolly platform 2 which are of a slightly different design but I can’t seem to find any better pictures online without an engine in the way.

Dublin Connolly

Thanks for all the help lads...

So I imagine those water/waste pipes are commonplace? I have seen more primitive ones in a lot of station pics.

The previous ones at Heuston were a bit less modern-looking, and red, as I remember it. There were fewer of them, too, I believe. Probably longer hoses...

2-3 years ago, I was on Connolly station on the DART platforms 5,6 & 7 I think, but anyway, a 29000 unit came into the platform empty stock.

It had come from platform 1.

As it came into the platform it was trailing behind it the fuel hose it had ripped out of the wall at the side of the carriage shed.

I went to the station masters office and told him what I had seen.

Next thing I see the driver looking out of his cab, then getting out to look at the hose and trying to get the nozzle out of the tank.

Then the shed master in his white coat came across with a big hammer to get the nozzle out.

The ironic thing about this is that I had my video camera and stills camera but was so engrossed in what was going on that I never took any photo's or video.

Wiggy.

Most of the older ones around the country are water only and have no means of removing waste water or sewage. These are left over from the days when there were no retention tanks and you only needed to top up the water. Off the top of my head the only places I can think of that have full waste water / sewage removal would be Limerick shed, Cork Shed, Portlaoise depot, Heuston, Connolly platform 1 and Drogheda depot. Am I missing any?