Donegal wagons

Rate this question

David Holman

Question

Ok, time for some new projects, namely three Tyrconnel/Alphagraphix Donegal wagon kits. However, find myself slightly bemused re the brake gear. Nothing new there, as have always found such things a challenge. 

I've only got one set of instructions, which am guessing are meant to be generic, but a couple of things aren't clear. The first picture shows all three kits laid out. As you can see, each one is different. The middle kit is a one plank, the other two are three plank.

DSCN5530.thumb.jpeg.cbdd24a10d418875df1b3319fcadcf91.jpeg

The second picture shows the brake gear of the left hand kit in more detail. The brake levers and vacuum cylinder/lever are obvious, as are the two pairs of brake shoes. Am assuming the three small castings at the bottom of the picture are for lining up the brake shoes, but what is the larger, fourth casting, bottom right? See too the instruction sheet in the last photo.

DSCN5531.thumb.jpeg.b6abf49fbec891125f0932f1368bf1ac.jpeg

The other two chassis seem more straightforward - well, less pieces - but any comments welcome, please!

DSCN5532.thumb.jpeg.e3de3200b82e6826b98e190a11745882.jpeg

DSCN5533.thumb.jpeg.8858a9d7224fef61383e5904c4d62508.jpeg

DSCN5534.thumb.jpeg.aeeb559f42659bc4b543634b2d7df13f.jpeg

• Like 5

11 answers to this question

11 hours ago, commerlad said:

The large casting Is a frame end with the coupling hole in the centre, the other end (lowest right piece in close up) does not have the dropper parts. The kits for the other 2 wagons had frame ends cast in resin.

Thanks, though further investigation is making me think that casting is not part of any of the three wagons. The photo below, taken from Roger's excellent book 'The County Donegal Railways Companion' shows a hybrid wagon, converted from a Ballymena, Cushendell & Red Bay vehicle, used as a low loader. Note the raised ends, which look very like my casting - though it appears there are only two uprights, not four...

Thus far, I can't find any photos or drawings showing a wagon end like this & why is there only one, not two? All three of my wagons have one piece resin castings for the bodywork. Maybe I won't be using that bit!

DSCN5536.jpeg.549c2497d45d7c14c929375b08ef0d27.jpeg

• Like 1

Easy one this what you have is one of the tranship wagons the big casting is the fixed end with the smaller casting bottom right being the end wagon crossed over .only thing is it wouldnt have a wooden deck just two lines of rollers,The two wagons above are a couple of the oil tank chassis they acquired which were turned into container flats. Andy.

• Like 1