MM mk2d bogie removal

Rate this topic

Fiacra

Apologies for such a basic question, but how does one go about removing the bogies from a MM mk2d? I thought they might disconnect with a bit of force, but that starts pulling the whole chassis away from the body, so it must require a more nuanced approach. 

Thanks for any help!

• Like 1

Well, I'm in a position to answer the question myself now - it being 'with some difficulty'. There may be an easier way, but I ended up having to remove the body from the chassis, and even then, there was a lot of blindly poking, squeezing, and forcing the attachment jaws out of position, before the bogie came away. Clearly designed to be robust rather than for easy removal. I wonder if the new batch of mk2d's will be designed in the same way?

My reason for wanting to remove the bogies in the first place is to regauge the models for EM track. I've mentioned this in a previous post, but I've opted to go EM gauge as a compromise between 00 and 21mm (the availability of track, points etc, being large part of the decision). Unfortunately, the bogies on the mk2d's are not wide enough for a simple axle swap-out. My original intention was to replace the whole bogie with an MJT brass bogie frame (using the original MM bogie sides as cosmetic attachments). Alas, it seems the MJT bogies are also strictly 00 gauge - something I only realised after constructing one and attempting to install a DCC Concepts EM gauge wheelset. That's no criticism of MJT, as they don't advertise the rigid bogie kits as anything other than 00 - I suppose I assumed there might be enough wiggle room in them to accept EM gauge axles.

So, it looks like the only way forward is to cut up the MM bogies and use plasticard to rebuild them to a suitable width. That shouldn't be too difficult, but if anybody knows of another way of approaching this, I'm all ears.

Many thanks! 

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

@TimO, I think, mentioned in one of the Mk2D threads that the bogie mounting will not be compatible this time around.

Other Mk2D threads on the new release:

https://irishrailwaymodeller.com/topic/14931-murphy-models-mk2d

https://irishrailwaymodeller.com/topic/14737-pre-order-your-murphy-models-mark-2d-coaches-via-irm

Here's a post on removing Cravens bogies - with a vice grips:

https://irishrailwaymodeller.com/topic/14542-removing-mm-craven-bogies

Here's a thread on the original runs of the Mk2D's using the current bogie mounting:

https://irishrailwaymodeller.com/topic/3996-mk-2-supertrain-coaches

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RedRich said:

MJT Carriage Compensation Units can be assembled for EM P4 and 21mm. Brassmaster make nice units also.

Thanks for this info Rich. The MJT rigid bogie frame was my first foray into brass kits, but despite my trepidation it was quite straight forward. However, CCUs look like they would require a much more delicate touch - might be a step too far for me at this stage. I'll pick one up though, and see how it goes. 

@Fiacra From memory the bogies on the new Mk2 coaches are fixed with screws. I should have taken a photo at Blackrock show. The sides are prototype width so they should take 21 mm gauge wheel sets and therefore will easily accept EM gauge wheel sets but you will have to reposition the brakes. Your best option with the original ones is either as you suggest to cut them and fix to a brass plate or use suitable MJT units.

• Like 1

Thanks TimO - that is very welcome news! I only have a couple of the original MM mk2d's and have been using them as conversion guinea pigs ahead of the new batch arriving. But, if the new bogies are prototype width, that will make things a lot easier.

• Agree 1

@Fiacra I took a few photos to show you what’s possible. This is a Murphy / Bachmann CIE coach from way back when, converted many moons ago to 21mm gauge, P4 Profile to run on Adavoyle. I think the wheels are Alan Gibson on 28mm axles and I suspect a jig was used to get everything square. Under the brass bolster plate there is a brass bush but the details are not visible. The screws are likely M2. the original bogie has just been cut down the centre and widened with the plate, nothing fancy. I hope this gives you some ideas.

image.thumb.jpeg.221bb70032787b5b3d792ea2aeb9ea50.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c7c8f9da4b4532aab5319cf67ec936d4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.aa3a0bdb061b622d20640a995cc2348c.jpeg

• Like 5

On 18/11/2023 at 10:02 AM, Fiacra said:

Apologies for such a basic question, but how does one go about removing the bogies from a MM mk2d? I thought they might disconnect with a bit of force, but that starts pulling the whole chassis away from the body, so it must require a more nuanced approach. 

Thanks for any help!

Hi,

The bogies pop off when levered up from one end, it needs a bit of force though

Eoin

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TimO said:

@Fiacra I took a few photos to show you what’s possible. This is a Murphy / Bachmann CIE coach from way back when, converted many moons ago to 21mm gauge, P4 Profile to run on Adavoyle. I think the wheels are Alan Gibson on 28mm axles and I suspect a jig was used to get everything square. Under the brass bolster plate there is a brass bush but the details are not visible. The screws are likely M2. the original bogie has just been cut down the centre and widened with the plate, nothing fancy. I hope this gives you some ideas.

image.thumb.jpeg.221bb70032787b5b3d792ea2aeb9ea50.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c7c8f9da4b4532aab5319cf67ec936d4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.aa3a0bdb061b622d20640a995cc2348c.jpeg

Lovely work! Very helpful - thanks TimO!

• Agree 1